Thursday, January 19, 2023

Review: Survivor of a Dictator by Lexi Archer

Survivor of a Dictator by Lexi Archer
Series: Savage Reapers #3
Publication date: January 27th, 2022
Pages: 269
Spice: 🌶️

Synopsis:
Despite the odds, I'm starting to enjoy myself.

Life might've finally turned a corner.

And then, the sirens sound.

Jail time.

Not for me.

Not for the one who deserves it the most.

For someone who has started to mean far too much to me.

I've been so busy trying to save myself I didn't see how far he fell.

I'll be damned before I abandon those I care about. It might put me in danger, but I'm a survivor of a dictator. I can save him.


Available at:




Review:
I can't say much about this book because I ended up DNFing it. I gave the series a fair shake and was disappointed with the first and second book, however, I still wanted to give it a chance and see what happened in the story and if the author found her grove later in the series. But, alas, I had to give up at about 30%. I had slogged through the first two books and I found myself finding more and more excuses for why I couldn't read at that moment. It wasn't that I didn't want to read, it was that I couldn't find enjoyment in going back into Erika's world. 

Erika is a decently established character and while she waffles with the shaky storyline she predominantly stuck to her general attitude. However, I had a hard time at times rectifying her overwhelming fear that led her to run from her father and subsequently hide with the chick who was willing to roll her eyes at him and issue threats and sass like it was nothing. And the man who was so quick to temper that he ended up murdering someone close to Erika in front of her now is willing to stomach and even find entertainment value in Erika's antics? What? 

I picked up this book because I was in an MC mode and this was marketed as such to me. But the MC is such an afterthought and it's more organized crime mafia/mob based than an MC. Just because all the main characters ride motorcycles does not a MC Romance make! 

So I will have to say, that this series just was not for me. I won't dismiss the author entirely because maybe this series' idea was just thrown together without a lot of plotting. That's generally what any story writing I do ends up being. I've had to sit and plot out where I am putting what scene and how it will overall effect the characters and making sure that if I'm going to change a character's demeanor there is a strong reason behind it.

Would I say, not to waste your time with the series? No. Give it a read, see if you see something I don't and feel free to reach out. I welcome all opinions even if they're opposite my own.