Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Review: Deadly Chaos by Samantha Bee

Deadly Chaos by Samantha Bee
Series: Steel Roses #2
Publication date: March 22nd, 2021
Pages: 493
Spice: 🌶️🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
I've spent the last eight years focused on one thing, and one thing only. Revenge.
I've kept people at a distance. Didn't let anyone under my skin. I had my rules and they worked well.
Until they didn't.
Four men worked their way in without me even noticing. I thought I was shattered. Broken beyond repair. I thought there was nothing left to break. I thought I could do this on my own.
I was wrong.
Four men showed me just how much further I had to fall. I can't abandon all that I've fought for. I can't give up my revenge. I can't let the sins against me go unpunished. I couldn't choose them. Four men showed me just how ruined I was.
A vital missing piece of who I am.
A heartless coward, running scared.
A violent storm that vanished as quickly as she crashed into my life.
A ray of hope that was snatched away. A pretty broken little thing.
One woman who ties the rest of us together.
I'm not the only thing shattered anymore. Everything is. And this time, I don't know how to fit the pieces back together.

Deadly Chaos is the second book in the contemporary new adult series, Steel Roses. If you have not read Shattered Chaos, please put this one down and go pick that one up. This story will not make sense without having read the first one. It is a why choose romance, meaning the female protagonist has three or more love interests and will not be forced to choose.

This book contains content that is not suitable for everyone. Please read the Author's Note at the beginning before delving into the story. Always feel free to reach out to the author or her team with any questions.


Available at:




Review:
Scar's thirst for revenge no longer is in sync with the men in her life. She wants action. She wants motion. She wants the people who hurt her and others to pay for what they did. But it seems that Luca and Kade are no longer willing to risk everything to give her what she wants. So she leaves. She goes out on her own to make the organization that is protecting the men who hurt her squirm a bit. But doing all this without her men at her side makes the whole experience hollow. There is something wounded inside her that she doesn't know how to overcome. Even with the help of a new friend, Declan, she still struggles to let go of the men she was involved with and go back to the days of random sex and no commitment. But how long can she avoid the men who will stop at nothing to have her back? And even if she returned to their side, would they even still want her?

I feel so terrible for Scar through most of this book. She is so broken and the light that Luca, Kade, Noah, and even Ryder gave her to keep going throughout the day was snuffed out at her own hand. She made a point of thinking about how she has always had at least one of them at her side through everything. Even when she left Kade in the past she still always had Luca. To not having any of them I could completely understand her spiraling. 

I was a little weary of Declan when he showed up randomly and started trying to help her through all her issues and teaching her how to not bury her emotions like she has been doing. He was the therapist she truly needed and it was amazing to watch how he molded her into this more healthy person. 

This book was a rollercoaster of pain, agony, and learning how to heal yourself. And I loved seeing her approach the guys again once she felt more stable on her feet. The surprise over her change was bittersweet for them. They were glad to see she was starting to open up a bit more about her emotions but they were jealous that it took Declan to draw it out. But Declan always had her back. I loved that he stood behind her even when all the other guys were throwing shade (especially Kade... how dare you, Kade! You were my favorite!). 

This was a great installment in the series. It gave a little more information about Scar, showed the connection she shared with the guys, and gave another love interest to consider. It also showed character broadening in all the characters to make them a little less shattered than they had been in the first book. Gotta love a book that shows growth!