Sunday, January 1, 2023

Review: Daughter of a Killer by Lexi Archer

Daughter of a Killer by Lexi Archer
Series: Savage Reapers #1
Publication date: September 30th, 2021
Pages: 271
Spice: 🌶️

Synopsis:
I'm homeless by choice.
I'm alone by choice.
I'm running away from my past, and I won't ever go back. I will be safe.
Only school isn't. It's as dangerous as my old life.
The bullies hound me. I can't have a moment of peace.
But they're wrong. I'm not weak. I'm not helpless. And I'm not about to take their crap.
Because I'm the daughter of a killer, and if they push me too far...
I'll push back harder, and they won't like it.
I'm a survivor by choice.

Daughter of a Killer is the first in a new reverse harem bully romance series, Savage Reapers.


Available at:




Review:
Erika thought it would be a simple final year of high school. After running away from home when she witnessed her father kill her mother she changed her last name and enrolled in high school in a totally different state. If only she had foreseen the Mutineers coming into her life. The Mutineers, Brett, Corey, Tyler, and Shane, are set on making Erika's existence at their school a living hell. Between insults and even a few physical assaults, they are determined to break her spirit. But Erika has been through worse. She has dealt with worse and there is not much they can do to her to make her leave the school before she is ready. She has her eyes set on Berkley as her college of choice and she can't get there without her degree. But there may be more at work in deterring her away than just the boys thinking she doesn't belong. 

I felt like this book was a bit flat. With bully romance there is a fine line between cruelty and affection. IE: The boys can be cruel and shame the heroine but if anyone else dared to do it they would defend the heroine. There was none of that in this book. Also, in most bully romances the bullies may insult the heroine but they never call them ugly or fat and very rarely call them whores or sluts. In Archer's world there are no limits set on the insults they would sling. She made her heroine stoic and not really react to the abuse which only made the boys go harder on her. It felt less like them trying to bully her because they secretly liked her and more like they were grade school kids pestering the girl they like to the point of it just being incredibly annoying. There was none of that heat element to their interacts and when there was attempts at it it felt incredibly forced. I just don't feel the bullying part of this book was well done. It felt forced and unrealistic. Not to mention, how often they called her ugly was boggling. I would not have been able to see past that insult to swoon over the boys if I had been the heroine. 

The plot felt very cut and pasted together. I get the general gist of the whole thing: Erika running away from her motorcycle club leader father who killed her mother. But it kept presenting twists as tidbits of the overall mystery of the Mutineers and their involvement with the local MC that never really got to any big reveal. I am in the middle of the third book actually and it STILL has not completely uncovered the mysteries of the Savage Reapers. I picked up the book because I was craving a MC Reverse Harem and this has the MC as kind of just an afterthought. The Mutineers aren't even IN the MC yet! So that was a bit of a letdown.

Erika was not a very likeable character and none of the boys were either. So it left the book pretty flat for me. But the subtlety of the overall mystery with the MC and Erika's father kept me reading on to the next book. I can only hope that at the end of this series when I complete it I am not as disappointed as I am in the first introduction their world.