Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Review: Descendant of a Tyrant by Lexi Archer

Descendant of a Tyrant by Lexi Archer
Series: Savage Reapers #2
Publication date: November 30th, 2021
Pages: 267
Spice: 🌶️

Synopsis:
I'm done being homeless.

I'm done being alone.

Despite everything, my past is starting to catch up to me.

I thought I was safe, and then the bullies started to dig their claws in. I sharpened my own.

But this enemy? He deserves so much more than my hatred.

I'm the daughter of a killer, a descendant of a tyrant.

And that tyrant has found me.

He almost broke me once. The bullies tried to finish the job.

But not all of the bullies are terrible. In fact, some might be able to help me.

Not that I'm a damsel in distress. I'll find a way to survive.

Most of all, I'm done running.


Available at:




Review:
Erika's father has found her and she is now having to figure out whether it is better to batten down the hatches and wait him out to see what he wants or turn tail and run all over again. The issue lies in the fact that she has roots here now in the form of the Mutineer boys. While Brett gets on her last nerve as do the others to varying degrees, she can't leave them behind. If she can hang in there and finish her schooling perhaps her father will allow her to continue to live her own life. Yeah, she isn't buying that option either.

This series is maddening. I have never read a book series that moves along at such a snail's pace that you have absolutely no idea what is going on. Erika's father comes back and you expect her life to be full of action and treachery as her father forces her back under his thumb where he wanted her all along. But it doesn't happen. It just... moves along. She just keeps on going to school, spending time with her boys, working, and interjecting herself into every single situation that she could possible put herself in the middle of. I wanted to strangle her and say, "good lord stop sticking your nose in EVERYTHING!!" I am so done with Erika as a character. 

And the boys are not much better. Brett started out with so much promise. The fact he would always grab her by the throat and pin her had him cast in that dominant role but then she gets herself into trouble left, right, and center and he just shakes his head and lets her keep on carrying on. What kind of dominant would do that?! In a word, none. He turned into a wimp in my mind and the others seemed to lose a lot of their appeal as well as they started developing feelings for Erika. There is an art to softening bad boys and still making them exude that take charge energy. Archer did not do that accurately. The boys turned into wienies. 

The meager sex scenes were rushed and a little too real. Like the great debate between pulling out or waiting to have sex and the calculating of her cycle to figure out whether it was safe or not. Made me feel like I was back in high school myself and no thanks on that whole experience.  It was not good and after having an entire book as a buildup to that one scene, it was a let down.

I was hoping this was going to be the saving grace of the first book but it also fell flat. The perfectionist in me wants to keep going because I hate to DNF a series, but I am leaning that way.