Monday, October 24, 2022

Review: Wicked Trials by Elena Lawson @LeaLately

Wicked Trials by Elena Lawson
Series: Boys of Briar Hall #2
Publication date: November 19th, 2021
Pages: 310
Spice: 🔥🔥🔥

Synopsis:
This wasn't supposed to happen. I was supposed to glide through senior year unnoticed and ride into the sunset on the back of my aunt's inflated bank account. I was supposed to be in control.

Now they are.

The trials will last 60 days. They can happen anytime, anyplace, and anyone or anything is fair game. I won't see them coming. I'll need to be ready at all times. Prepared to fight, to steal, to save, and to kill at Diesel St. Crow's command.

While I sit on standby, he's ordered his sons to keep an eye on me, and they've become my own personal wardens.

Corvus, Rook, and Grey. Their watchful stares will make destroying them from the inside harder than I planned for.

But as truths are dragged out of the shadows and new dangers emerge, I may be forced to accept that they are more than armed roadblocks in my path. They might also be my only hope of survival.

Wicked Trials is a full-length dark enemies-to-lovers reverse harem romance, meaning the main character will have more than one love interest. It is book two of the Boys of Briar Hall series and should be read after Crooked Crows.

Warning: This is a dark gang romance. It contains foul language, explicit sexual content, graphic depictions of gang violence, dubcon, and jealous/possessive themes. Recommended for readers aged eighteen and up. Please read responsibly.


Available at:



Review:
Ava Jade is in the thick of it now after witnessing a scene she should have never seen. She knows too much and her only hopes of remaining alive is by taking the trials to become a full fledged Saint. The last thing she ever wanted was to join the ranks of a group that reminds her so much of the one who took her father from her, but perhaps if she can wriggle into the inner-sanctum she could bring them down and eke out some sort of revenge for the gang system as a whole after how thoroughly they ruined her life. But as she is awaiting her trials she has gained three very attractive shadows that can't let her out of their sights. Add to that navigating the waters of her new friendship with Becca, classes, a surly aunt, and a stalker from her past, things are expected to be a cakewalk right? But the more time she spends with the Crows the more she starts to wonder if her aim in all this may be a little off. Can men that make her heart skip a beat and who know her pain in equal parts be as bad as the rest of the bloodthirsty gangsters?

Poor AJ just seems to never catch a break. It's no wonder she is so brash with the way she treats the guys. She has never been able to trust a single soul in her life. That is bound to damage a person. And while the guys are more capable of opening up to her (even the stoic Corvus), AJ is at constant war with her walls and her heart. In this second book the guys pasts were explored a little more and AJ connected with them in ways she never would have imagined. The reader can feel the love blossoming even as each of them fights it for different reasons.

I would have liked if there was a few more sweet moments and not just constantly fighting to stay alive. I understand that in a gang romance that is probably par for the course but the trials and overall plot seemed to be more at the forefront in this book than nurturing the relationships between the parties. I get why that was once I reached the cliffhanger but it was the only thing I could think of that I would have liked more of. 

This installment was even better than the first and I am absolutely on pins and needles to find out what happens next!