Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Review: Lover by Hattie Jude


Lover by Hattie Jude
Series: Loxley Prep #3
Publication date: June 9th, 2022
Pages: 246
Spice: 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Synopsis:
Everything I thought I knew has been a lie.
Bishop, Wells, Ronan, and Abel no longer believe the worst about me,
And my nights are filled with love from each of them.
But my heart is broken in four pieces,
And I don't even think they can put it back together.
I'm constantly looking over my shoulder...
Unsure of where to turn or who to believe.
All I know is that I've never felt more alone.

Lover is the third book in the Loxley Prep reverse harem series.

*This reverse harem romance contains foul language, sexual content, and parts may be triggering.*


Available at:



Review:
Watching Lennon realize that the guys have all been weary of her from the moment she reentered their lives, even the ones who seemed to have made amends with her quickly, broke her heart. Add to that the fact that a person she thought was long gone resurfacing sends Lennon into a tailspin. She doesn't know where to turn or who to trust. The men she thought she could trust completely betrayed her and used her in some twisted test to see how loyal she was to them. When they found out that she was as trustworthy as she claimed they were desperate to make amends. But it may be too little, too late for them now. Can Lennon survive her long thought dead enemy, the betrayal of every single person in her life she thought she could trust, and find a way to graduate high school in the process?

I have not been so heartbroken for a character in a long time. I watched Lennon fall to pieces over and over again and she was so utterly alone in her pain. The guys wanted to make it up to her and apologize but some things are far too big to forgive. But I also saw her pick herself up and give every single person the middle finger. She was determined to take care of herself on her own without the protection of the guys or her Aunt Darby. She grew a backbone that I hadn't really seen until this point. 

I also enjoyed seeing Lennon and the guys find their way back to each other. They all opened up about their past and commiserated. Lennon was there to put them back together just as they were for her. They were a united front when it came to foiling the diabolic plans of their enemies and I was their biggest cheerleader.

The only pitfall that I found in the book was that the resolution felt rushed. It was a lot about Lennon's betrayal and her relationships being rekindled with her guys so that the drama and antagonist issues kind of took a backseat. Normally that would be fine but I was expecting something a little more thought provoking. The mystery was easily solved as the enemies seemed to basically turn out to be vast in either one regard or another. You could throw a rock or hazard a guess as to the big baddies and you'd have probably been right. That just felt a little flubbed to me but it didn't detract from the overall enjoyment of the book.

It was a nice conclusion to a truly visceral book series that brought on tears, laughs, and swoon-age.