Monday, September 20, 2021

Review: Uppercut Princess by E.M. Moore

Uppercut Princess by E.M. Moore
Series: The Heights Crew #1
Publication date: February 19th, 2020
Pages: 408

Synopsis:
Vengeance is NOT my middle name.

It's in my blood. 

It's tattooed on my skin.

It's with me 24/7. The thing that drives me.

It's also what brings me to Rawley Heights. No one would willingly come here otherwise. But me? I don't have a choice.

Here, everyone fears the Heights Crew. They're not just some small-town gang, they're the real deal. Crime. Sex. Murder. Angry, self-obsessed dudes with bad attitudes.

And they're exactly who I need to get my vengeance from.

I have my work cut out for me--especially where Bat, Brawler, and Magnum are concerned--but don't worry, they have no idea who they're dealing with.

I'm counting on it.


Available at:



Review:
Kyla comes to the Heights to find the man who murdered her parents in cold blood and exact her revenge. To do so she must put on an act that she is a meek and defenseless girl until she is forced into the boxing ring to prove herself before the son of Heights Crew. It is there that she catches the interest of Johnny Rocket which starts Kyla on the road she had hoped to travel down. But what she wasn't expecting was to actually find herself attracted to Johnny, let alone to the buff fight organizer, Brawler, the quarterback turned Crew member, Oscar, or the stoically silent bodyguard, Magnum as well. It would see that Kyla now has to not only find her way to rise to the top of the Crew to get her hands on her parents' murderer but also deal with the growing feelings for all the men in her new life.

Kyla is presented with ample opportunities to drop her mission and escape the talons of the Heights Crew crime organization, but her thirst for revenge will not be sated in anything but the life blood of her enemy. Johnny has made his claim on her very apparent and the gilded cage that comes with that claim causes Kyla to buckle in her resolve. Add to that the fact that Johnny has made it abundantly clear that he is not the sharing type, leaves Kyla wondering about her feelings for the other men. Does she owe loyalty to her captor? Is the attraction worth the risk of all their lives? And should Kyla even be focused on her infatuations when her aim is death and destruction?

I honestly have never seen a reverse harem where all parties weren't on board. Watching Kyla sneak around behind Johnny's back was equal parts upsetting because (cheater!) of her ties to Johnny but also exhilarating. I loved the dynamics of all the men. Brawler was the sentimental lovey-dovey type, Oscar was the comic relief, Magnum was the strong silent type, and Johnny was the alpha male. By now we can all gather I like the strong silent type so I'm a Magnum type of girl, but Oscar's sense of humor is infectious. I was glad to see Kyla was unable to fight getting to know the other guys better despite the betrayal to Johnny. 

The first book set the stage for twists and turns the likes of which I can only imagine happening at this point. I loved the connections between characters, the savior complex Kyla has in the face of her thirst for revenge, and the dynamic of the Heights Crew having control of the entirety of the town even down to the hierarchy in the local high school. 

Uppercut Princess is the story of one girl's mission of death shifting to a mission of mercy when encountering the potential for love.