Friday, September 3, 2021

Review: Saint by Ruby Vincent

Saint by Ruby Vincent
Series: Saint and Sinners #1
Publication date: February 4th, 2021
Pages: 293

Synopsis:
It's a common story. I'm sure you can guess how it goes.

Girl winds up in the wrong place at the wrong time.
She witnesses four gods of beauty and brutality murder some poor sap, and she's stupid enough to get caught.

Come on. You know what happens next.

You know they tracked her... me... down.
I don't need to tell you that they claimed me. Ripped me from my safe, perfect world and bound me in chains in their throne.
All of that is obvious.

It's the part where they corrupted me, dragged me into their world of death and destruction, made me theirs in every way I didn't know was possible, and I became a soldier in a war that will bring all of Cinco City to its knees...

...that's when it gets interesting.

Saint is a dark contemporary why choose romance. This is book one in the series and features language, dark themes, and sexual scenes. If you're cool with that, dive in!


Available at:



Review:
Adeline is the epidemy of a wrong place/wrong time type of girl. She thought picking up a side job carrying trays for another rich people's party that she would be able to network to get her name out there as an up-and-coming chef. Little did she know that when she was carrying and drunk girl to the bathroom to save her from some handsy gentlemen that her life would change forever. While in the bathroom she is witness to a murder carried out by the infamous bank robbers gang, The Merchants. When she is discovered, she thought that was the end of it. But a chance encounter earlier with the leader of the gang gave her a brief reprieve... at least from death. She is taken by the gang and spirited away to be given an offer she is hard-pressed to refuse.

Become their personal chef and housekeeper to the strict instructions of their OCD-addled psychopathic brother, Brutal or death. Adeline chose (reluctantly) life. But as she is quickly finding out the boys that she was meant to hate seemed to be striking a cord with her. They are introducing her to their world and while the death and destruction it holds makes her sick to her stomach, she finds herself falling harder and faster for each of the dangerous men.

But Adeline has her own secrets. She is hiding more than they could ever guess their docile little chef could be capable of.

I was vibing with the story from the beginning and loving seeing these dangerously hot men coax Adeline into being her own flavor of badass. The docile heroine shaped and molded by the bad boys. We all know the trope. But there is a twist that I didn't see coming. One that made me pause and start wondering if I even liked the character anymore. The author took everything she made the heroine out to be and twisted in on its head. It did make the coupling make a bit more sense but it felt a bit nonsensical. The inner dialogue of the heroine that was featured in the pages was of the what we were to believe was the true Adeline, but would that have not been different since it IS internal? I understood the assignment, but the execution was a bit shaky. 

That being said, I absolutely love Brutal as a character. I did like all of them but, Brutal has my heart. His silent stoic nature and his unique ways of communicating was interesting to watch. It was different from the cold, detached nature of Cash, the psychotic Joker-ish nature of Saint, and the mysteriously smug attitude of Mercer. 

The twists and turns in Saint will keep you on your toes and if you approach it with an open-mind it can be a truly stellar read.