Thursday, September 23, 2021

Review: Knockout Queen by E.M. Moore

Knockout Queen by E.M. Moore
Series: The Heights Crew #4
Publication date: August 3rd, 2020
Pages: 466

Synopsis:
I came to the Heights with a purpose.

Join the Heights Crew. Move up the ranks. Make it implode from the inside out.

But more than anything, make them suffer as much as I've suffered over the years because of them.

I planned everything... or so I'd thought. I had a contingency plan for my contingency plan, but that was before I met them. The few members of the crew who've already irrevocably changed my life.

I thought I knew what I wanted, and I still do want that, but if getting my vengeance means ruining my future--our future--how can I live with that?

KNOCKOUT QUEEN is a dark high school enemies to lovers RH.


Available at:



Review:
Kyla's world is unraveling. Johnny has been taken from her and is being subjected to torture and torment. She has to lean on her other lovers to gather her strength to continue on as if nothing is wrong. Keeping herself in the good graces of Daddy K is becoming exhausting and she is starting to wonder if she is actually ever going to get the opportunity to exact her revenge or whether it's even worth it anymore. Perhaps she should gather her men and make a break for it. But to do that she would need to first find Johnny. Magnum, Brawler, and Oscar are willing to do anything she needs to find Johnny and take the pain out of her eyes. But will they get to him in time?

It is no secret that Gregory has made Kyla his prime target, perhaps if she is made available for the taking, they will be able to find their way back to Johnny as Gregory is the most likely suspect of his capture. But to do so she will have to step out of the protective embrace of her Crew men and risk it all. 

The twists in this book gave me whiplash. Between the rival gangs threatening her existence and Daddy K and his tests for both Brawler and Kyla, there is a constant need for plotting and planning within their family. Whether it was trying to track down kidnapped Johnny, keeping Brawler on the straight and narrow for his initiations, or even just keeping her relationship with any of the men from getting out within the Crew, there was never a dull moment.

I wanted so badly to see Daddy K's demise. He was the most loathsome character I have ever encountered. Between his absolute hatred for women and his psychopath tendencies, I was counting the days until Kyla finally put a bullet in his head. But the more roadblocks the man put up in the way, the more frustrated I became. WHY WON'T YOU DIE?! I was also worried how if Kyla did take him out how that would effect Johnny. Hard to stomach your girlfriend killing your father even if he is an abusive asshole of a man.

Knockout Queen was definitely the best wrap-up book I have read. It flowed well and didn't resolve issues quickly when the end of the book was approaching. It was the perfect ending to a perfectly delightful series.