Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Review: Catch Me by E.M. Moore

 

Catch Me by E.M. Moore
Series: Spring Hill Blues #2
Publication date: December 16th, 2019
Pages: 324

Synopsis:
Fear...

Fear of the unknown.

Fear of feeling.

Fear of losing.

I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just one scared girl in a world where there's a lot to be afraid of.

Cade, Lex, and Reid helped. They pulled me out of my own head, helped me feel a sliver of happiness again. But with that, I gained a new set of worries.

What if I lose another person I love?

I'm not perfect. I've made mistakes. Running away won't ever be one of them again though. I'm back at Spring Hill High to fight for the ones I love. Fight against a set of enemies that want to take everything I have away.

Well, we'll just see about that, won't we?

**You won't want to miss this conclusion of the Spring Hill Blues series!


Available at:



Review:
Confronted with a situation reminiscent of when Briar lost her brother, she can think of nothing else to do but cut and run again. If she loses Reid the same way she lost Brady she won't know how to handle the loss. It is terrible to lose one person to love, but to lose two doing the same dangerous sport? Run. That is how Briar finds herself in a sketchy hotel, panhandling to survive. That is also where Sasha, Reid's venomous ex-girlfriend, finds her with revelations and dreams of further blackmail in mind. 

Luckily, her boys are not going to let Briar disappear off the face of the Earth again. When they track her down in just the nick of time, she returns home with her tail between her legs. Now she has to make it up to her parents, friends, and Reid for pulling another Houdini act on them when things get tough. Add to that the fact that they now need to find a way to bring down Sasha and her corrupt cronies who have made it their mission to ruin Reid's football career and drag the couple apart by any means necessary. Can Reid and Briar keep their love alive while also uncovering all the corruption within their classmates?

The antagonists were extremely surface level. The drama was not something that drew me in and captivated me but actually started to make me roll my eyes. Especially the situation with Eli. They confront him at a party about his role in Reid's injuries and also his role in the blackmail scenes of Sasha, but do nothing aside from talk to him and threaten him. Then they had Oscar track the guy down so they can confront him again once more with force. The way they made it seem, the guy was hard to find and yet he showed up at the party and was constantly around trying to track down Sasha. So, why exactly was it so difficult to find him to the point of needing to tap in an outside source to find him? 

The Sasha situation should have been wrapped up in the pages of book one. The book seemed to be dragged out between two books but it could have easily been condensed into one. If it had been a slightly longer standalone, it may have flowed a bit better and there would have been more opportunities to add some meat onto the bones of the main conflict. While the characters were well developed in the first book, the second book felt rushed and as if situations were tossed in to try to fluff it out a bit. It felt a bit rushed. It wasn't a terrible book, but I would have liked a bit more substance.