Friday, September 24, 2021

Review: Devious Little Liars by Elle Thorpe @ellethorpebooks

Devious Little Liars by Elle Thorpe
Series: Saint View High #1
Publication date: July 16th, 2020
Pages: 340

Synopsis:
"Everybody lies, Princess. Some of us are just better at not getting caught."

He murdered my uncle then covered it with fire. A fire that should have killed me, too. Instead, he hauled me from the floor while flames licked the walls, strong arms holding me close.

He saved my life.

Now I want to know why. I never saw his face. All I know is the letters on his shirt. SVHF.

Saint View High Football.

The worst school in a hundred miles. Full of drugs and despair. Breeding ground for future criminals. Armed security guards and weapon checks at every door.

A far cry from my privileged life of money, private school, and fancy vacations.

With the police doing nothing, I take matters into my own hands. I enroll in a school I have no business being at.

But the Untouchables are quick to let me know exactly how big a mistake I've made. They're the group of boys even the teachers are scared of.

Colt. Banjo. Rafe.

Every teenage girl's dream. Good looking. Popular. Powerful.

And determined to break me.

Thing is, I'm not that easily broken. And I'm coming for them, too.

Devious Little Liars is the story of three bad boys and a girl who knows how to stand her ground. It is a mature high school/new adult, reverse harem, #whychoose romance, meaning the main character has more than one love interest. This book contains enemies-to-lovers and bullying themes. It is the first book in an ongoing trilogy.


Available at:



Review:
Lacey's life was perfect until it quite literally went up in flames. As the flames licked over her skin as she struggled to save the only father figure she had ever known, she thought that was end. Until a hard body scooped her from the ground and carried her to safety. This same man may have been the man who set the fire and killed her beloved uncle. The only thing that is keeping Lacey on her feet is the thought of avenging the man who raised her and bringing the guilty culprit to justice. That night the man that carried her to safety was wearing an unmistakable shirt with SVHF embroidered on it. Saint View High Football. To find her uncle's murderer she enrolled in the school hoping to shake free the guilty party.

Along the way she meets Banjo, Rafe, and Colt. Banjo with his easy-going demeanor was an instant connection. One that she was hard-pressed to let go of, even if Banjo's best friend, Colt, has deemed her an undesirable. She is to be forced out of the school as soon as possible and none of the Untouchables are to be involved with her. But Banjo and even his slighter harder to win-over friend Rafe struggle with their desire for Lacey and their loyalty to Colt.

But are Rafe and Banjo's feelings genuine or are they playing her for a fool? Why does Colt want her out so badly? Why would her uncle's murderer save her like he did? What could drive someone to murder an innocent man? Lacey will need to find the answers to all these questions and also stomach the betrayal at the hands of someone she thought she cared for.

I absolutely loved this book. I was a little nervous when there was a little love interest between two of the boys. I am not a huge fan of the whole "crossing swords" aspect. I mean, if it's in a group atmosphere, sure. But them having a separate relationship just them without the female protagonist makes me kinda squirmy. Hey, I can't help how I feel. We all have our literary lines. 

Lacey was a delightful female protagonist. She was strong-willed and quick-witted. She didn't let anyone talk down to her without a snappy comeback quick on her tongue. She didn't let her perceived superiority go to her head. She didn't see any of the other students as the 'poor kids'. She knew her past had not always been glamorous and that grounded her. She was able to see the poor conditions of the boys she desired and instead of turn her nose up at them, she strove to help and support the best ways she could. Savior complex? Maybe a bit. But some of them deserved to be saved.

The cliffhanger in this book is gut-wrenching. You will need to have the second book on standby or you will face a book hangover unlike any you may have ever experienced. I know my fingers never flew across my tablet as fast as they did to request the 2nd book off Kindle Unlimited.

Devious Little Liars is the start of a truly stellar trilogy about classism, sexual exploration, and the pursuit of love in the face of betrayal and devastation.