Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Review: Sweet Retribution by Callie Rose

Sweet Retribution by Callie Rose
Series: Ruthless Games #2
Publication date: June 12th, 2020
Pages: 251
Spice Rating: 🔥

Synopsis:
I knew my shadows were hiding something, but I never expected this.

The game is over... for now. But once again, three simple gunshots have blown my world to pieces.

I came back from the darkness last time. I pulled my life back together. This time, though? I don't know how to do that.

Secrets are buried deep in Halston.
Alliances are formed in darkness.
And vengeance is the only balm for a broken heart.

But if they didn't want me to play, they should never have touched what was mine.

This is the second book in the Ruthless Games series, a new adult reverse harem romance. It contains sexual situations, violence, and dark subject matter. Please venture between these pages at your own discretion.


Available at:



Review:
The cliffhanger from the last book was terrible! Not knowing whether Marcus had been killed or not was torturous and being as the love connection was so fresh it could have gone either way. Then he disappears. Ayla is left reeling with his two friends and decides she will run herself into the ground if she has to in pursuit of finding out what happened to Marcus. However, as far as the story goes, Marcus disappearing was the best thing for the overall storyline. This gave Ayla a chance to explore her connections with Theo and Ryland without the obsessed man, Marcus, hanging over her head. 

I already said in the previous review that Ryland was my favorite. This book only helped me reaffirm that initial instinct. He is the strong, silent type that would die for the people he loves without question. He broods and scowls but Ayla can melt that stoic personality with a simple smile and turn him to putty. I loved watching them form their bond as well as seeing her forge one with Theo.

This installment was more so focused on the mystery of the games and trying to find Marcus. It did harken back to a bit of Ayla's past that hadn't been discussed previously, but the main focus was on finding Marcus and once found, finding a way to win the games. It was interesting to see a book where the main antagonist of the story was the storyline itself. The reason they are having to dull their relationships or keep their distance periodically is because of the dangers that come with the games as a whole; not a single entity itself.

I didn't find this book as enjoyable as the first book. I did like seeing Ayla grow closer with the other two guys but it felt like the romance was kinda shoved to the side to make room for all the other twists and turns of the plot. I like my books heavily laden with romance so that was a downfall just for me as a particular reader. If you like books that have spice but as an afterthought to the mystery in the plot this would be a favorite.