Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Review: Sweet Obsession by Callie Rose

Sweet Obsession by Callie Rose
Series: Ruthless Games #1
Publication date: March 24th, 2020
Pages: 308
Spice Rating: 🔥🔥

Synopsis:
I saved his life.
Now he's invaded mine.

Two years ago, a split-second decision changed everything. I risked my life for a man I didn't even know and nearly died for it.

I've tried to forget him. To forget that whole night.

But he hasn't forgotten me.
He's been watching.
Obsessing.
Craving.

And when he crashes back into my life like a wrecking ball, accompanied by two dark shadows--men he calls his brothers--the life I've been trying to rebuild for myself shatters into a thousand sharp-edged pieces.

He believes our souls are bound by blood, and he's come back to claim what's his.

Two years ago, I saved Marcus Constantine's life.

Now I wish I hadn't.

This is the first book in the Ruthless Games series, a dark reverse harem romance. It contains sexual situations, violence, and dark subject matter.


Available at:



Review:
As far as books based on a male's absolute obsession with his the female protagonist at least this one was more than a scent (usually in paranormal romance) or just insta-love. Likely, if she hadn't saved his life he would have carried on in her life and not thought about her except perhaps in a missed connection sort of way. But seeing her almost die for him with no reason what-so-ever for it that he could ascertain but that she had a good soul, his obsession was born. Normally books like this give me the creeps. Men lurking in shadows waiting for the woman to fall into peril so they can swoop in and white knight her to safety? Pass. But some how the addition of two other men, one who hates everything about their mission to protect her and the other with crazy golden retriever energy, kind of balances it out perfectly. Inevitably they all admit they are obsessed with her to some degree, but the varying personalities make it more concise and enjoyable.

Ayla is the first female protagonist that I have read about who had a disability to the extend of an amputated limb. Usually the females I read about have internal scars, not external. But damn is she a warrior. She refuses to give into social pressure to wear her prosthetic if she is able to function better without it. She doesn't hide her scars, she embraces them, even placing tattoos on her amputated arm to make something she sees as unpleasant to look at beautiful. She entered her connection with Marcus and his men with a healthy dose of resistance and weariness which only made me love her more.

The author did a good job of making sure each of the men were different so they could stand out as their own characters while also maintaining that trio feel to them. I am always a sucker for a broody bastard so Ryland is by far my favorite of the three. He also tried to resist Ayla the most projecting a hateful aura towards her which poorly masked how he truly felt. 

I think that the first part of the series was stellar. It had an air of mystery in it which the games get mixed into the romance between the four. Sweet Obsession tackles dark pasts, selfless acts, danger, and love in a beautiful and unique way.