Sunday, February 13, 2022

Review: Changes and Chocolate by Heather Long @HVLong

Changes and Chocolate by Heather Long
Series: Untouchables #2
Publication date: January 27th, 2020
Pages: 414
Spice Rating: 🔥🔥🔥

Synopsis:
170 some odd days left in my senior year and everything has changed. I went from untouchable to dating my best friends to making out to being betrayed. Why can't they understand humiliating and controlling me doesn't say I care?

Could this get any worse?

We've all crossed lines. Broken the rules.

Ian had asked me to Homecoming.

Jake spent the night in my bed.

Coop and I had made out on the sofa.

But Archie? Archie and I had blown past all of them.

Now?

I had to get out of here more than ever. Change was inevitable. College was coming. That was where my focus needed to be. Not on the four guys I adored. Our friendship was everything and there wasn't enough chocolate in the world to salvage this situation.

Losing them for a few months hurt. 

Losing them forever might be inevitable, but it would be unbearable.


Available at:



Review:
In the second installment a lot of secrets were put to rest or realized and it completely upended Frankie's life. Some of them were good like discovering the mystery man who was sending Frankie roses was someone who she could only hope would be a good friend in the long run. Others were terrible like when Frankie discovered the seriousness of the relationship her mother was forming with a married man. She has been used, abused, taken for granted, and made to believe she was unworthy of any less. Her best friends are starting to get the full scope of how terrible things have been that Frankie has locked away and refused to acknowledge. 

The bullying at school is starting to reach a new high and the culprit of a particularly malicious attack remains unknown despite the subject pool seemingly being only the girls scorned by the guys when they chose Frankie over them. But there is someone new who also finds Frankie detestable and is bent on destroying her.

The boys and Frankie are getting closer and they're starting to realize they're not that jealous when it comes to her being with the others. In fact, some of them are starting to realize that watching her with the others is titillating. Which opens the relationship to a few different possibilities down the road. It is great to see how devoted they are to her and how willing they are to do anything to make her happy. 

Changes and Chocolate addresses the tumultuous relationship between Frankie and her mother as well as deepening the feelings between her and her boys. It shows that Frankie didn't get the mousy personality naturally and that it was cultivated by neglect and even doses of abuse from her family life. She suffered in silence even from her best friends but now she has the support she could only have dreamed of. The problem lies in the fact that with feelings deepening the potential of making a choice between the boys draws closer and more prominent. 

I haven't found a series in a while that has sucked me in so thoroughly. The slow building of a relationship on top of the friendships is realistic to the point where I can actually feel cast in Frankie's shoes. This makes the story that much more beautiful to dive into. I am anxious to read the next one in the series as soon as I finish this review!