Sunday, February 27, 2022

Review: Keys and Kisses by Heather Long

Keys and Kisses by Heather Long
Series: Untouchable #3
Publication date: March 31st, 2020
Pages: 412
Spice Rating: 🔥🔥

Synopsis:
When the year started, I had one goal--make my AP classes count and keep my grades up. Both my focus and my grades started wobbling. Dating my best friends came with perks like hugs, kisses, and invitations to dances, but it also came with cons in the form of vindictive posts, hate mail, and vandalism of my car.
I asked if it could get any worse, and I guess I got my answer.
My college essays suck.
My mother and I are racing toward a collision.
My secret admirer might turn out to be a real friend.
My dance partner wants to walk away to preserve our friendship.
My best friend demanded I keep no more secrets.
My first offered to move in with me.
My second... he's got my back.
They all do.
But what brought us together seems to be tearing us apart and I can't jeopardize those friendships.
I won't.
I thought losing them was the worst thing, but losing even one... it might be the change we can't survive.
The real key here isn't what do I want... it's am I willing to fight for it?

P.S. I still need to get a damn dress.

*Please note this is a reverse harem and the author suggests you always read the forward in her books. This is the third in a series and the story will continue through future books.


Available at:




Review:
Frankie is just trying to make it through her time in high school and get out the outside alive. She has her best friends turned boyfriends to protect her and a secret admirer turned best friend having her six, but that doesn't stop the sharks from circling. Frankie is on the radar of all the girls her guys dumped after their sketchy summer without her around. Those girls, especially Sharon and Patty, seem to be willing to slander Frankie anyway they can to try to garner favor with the guys and make her the laughing stock of the school. 

However, it's not just the girls at school trying to make her life hell. Frankie's mother who has been in and out of the picture has decided she will be marrying her married boyfriend who happens to be one of the guy's fathers and they are moving in together. Frankie is pushed to move with them but refuses which causes a rift the size of the Grand Canyon between her and her abusive and neglectful mother. Now Frankie must find the strength to stand up to the girls at her school and her own mother if she ever hopes to be her own person. But they're not the only ones bent on Frankie's destruction and things can always get worse.

Frankie is still a crowd favorite for me. She is very docile and meek until she gets this fire in her that makes her snap back with a sharpness you wouldn't expect. She is pampered and coddled despite wanting to be independent and it has caused a myriad of issues with her fellas. I keep my fingers crossed through every book I read in this series hoping that Frankie can find a way through all the bullshit and be able to be happy with her guys. 

Add to that the fact that Ian is an idiot and martyrs himself thinking he's doing right by Frankie. Ian is the most frustrating character of the bunch. He is this golden retriever-esk character but Rachel's assessment of him being "shit for brains" is incredibly accurate. He wants to throw himself on his sword and distance himself from Frankie because he doesn't want to face her inevitable choice later down the road and break up all the friendships. No, more like he's afraid if she makes that choice it won't be him so he's cutting and running. Nobody is fooled, Ian. You're a coward. However, I do hope that he finds a way to fix things with Frankie because she needs all the support.

This was a great third installment in the series and I find myself not growing tired of the characters or plot like I may with other books. Every book has a new obstacle or some increase in turmoil that makes every page packed with action. The sex scenes in this series so far as a whole are not the spiciest I have ever read but they're packed with emotion which helps.