Monday, July 27, 2020

Review: Boys of Brayshaw High by Meagan Brandy @MeaganBrandy


Boys of Brayshaw High by Meagan Brandy
Series: Brayshaw High #1
Publication date: January 15th, 2019
Pages: 376

Synopsis (according to Goodreads):
"Girls like you aren't exactly welcomed at a place like this, so keep your head down and look the other way."

Those were the exact words of my social worker when she dropped me in my newest hellhole, a place for "troubled teens".

I didn't listen, and now I'm on their radar.

They expect me to play along in their games of hierarchy, to fall in line in the social order they've deemed me fit.

Too bad for them, I don't follow rules.
Too bad for me, they're determined to make sure I do.

Inconceivably attractive and treated like kings... these are the boys of Brayshaw High.

And I'm the girl who got in their way.


Available at:
Free in Kindle Unlimited!!


Review:
In my pursuit to take full advantage of the 3-for-1 Kindle Unlimited cost I have encountered many a book hangover lately. I have read a few series and even a few stand-alones that have caused me to search frantically for something similar to fill the void after finishing all I could devour from a few fantastic authors. While my TBR is not getting any smaller as far as my physical book collection and my books for review from NetGalley, I can't seem to stop dipping my toes into the Kindle Unlimited stockpiles. I have found I've really enjoyed bully romance which makes me question a few things about my own personality. While this one didn't strike my fancy so much with the cover, the synopsis intrigued me. 

Raven is no stranger to bullying. Growing up the daughter of the town prostitute has caused a lot of her peers to look at her as if she were the same as her mother. Her mother cared nothing for Raven. Raven felt she only kept her around to keep the checks rolling in for having a dependent. When one day Raven gets into a fight she can't talk or charm her way out of she founds herself removed from her diabolically evil mother's care and placed in the Group Home at Bray House. Raven has no intention of embracing her new set of circumstances. She will skate by until she is 18 and has identification to get a job, then she will blow out of town as quickly as she entered it. However, what she doesn't realize is that at her new school, there is a pecking order. The King of Brayshaw, Maddoc, along with his adoptive brothers, Captain and Royce, run the school off with a healthy dose of fear. An emotion Raven has none of when it comes to the three boys. She is more than willing to go head-to-head with the three even if it means more ridicule from her peers. This town has rules and Raven is bound and determined to break every single one of them.

Raven was, by far, one of my favorite female protagonists. She was not only strong and feisty but she was kind of a badass. She didn't just fight with fists, she was a master manipulator. She took verbal abuse and even physical abuse with a bored expression and a shrug of her shoulders. A lot of people in reality would kill to be able to shrug off what people say about them without it seeping in and inflicting pain. I also questioned who Raven would find herself leaning towards as a romantic interest. They all seemed interested in her and she seemed a little invested in all of them as well. I wondered if this was going to shape up to be another reverse harem situation but it really didn't. There was a clear favorite amongst the guys and, of course, that was the King himself, Maddoc. Maddoc was pure caveman wet dreams. He was dark and broody that you just wish would grab you by your hair and drag you back to his cave with as much growling grunts in the middle as he wishes to make. Don't get me wrong, Captain and Royce, were equally as swoon-worthy, but Maddoc was the best choice.

The Boys of Brayshaw has everything from a monarchical town to a enemies-to-lovers dynamic and even a strong predilection of honor and trust.

Lost Girl drop_8