Monday, September 9, 2024

Review: Make Me Lie by C.R. Jane & May Dawson

Make Me Lie by C.R. Jane & May Dawson
Series: Rich Demons of Darkwood #1
Publication date: September 30th, 2021
Pages: 316
Spice: 🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
The world knows me as the Demon's Daughter.
He's a famous serial killer. And I may have been his accomplice.

But no one knows for sure except for me.

The dangerous, cruel men of the Sphinx secret society intent to uncover my secrets... and break me.

Stellan, my childhood crush who lost his sister to the Demon.

Cain, the boy with the face of an angel to who manipulation comes as easy as breathing.

Remington, the playboy soccer star full of secrets.

Pax, the dark psycho who hides behind his fists.

I hoped for a second chance at Darkwood University, only to have my dream ripped away the first time I kissed one of the handsome bastards.

They know who I am.

And they're determined to make me pay.

They should have thought twice about who they were playing with.

Because I am the demon's daughter. And just because they have the power, the connections, the faces and bodies of gods... do they really think they'll win?

I wanted a new life, not a war.

But if they insist, we'll see who ends up playing.



Available at:




Review:
Gabriela/Deliliah/Aurora thought that a change of name and a little plastic surgery would be able to hide her identity from the world. Nobody wants to go to school with the reputation that their adoptive father was a serial killer and you may have been involved with his killings. But she never would have guessed that one of the fellow students she happened to run into was someone from her past that knew her a little too well. Her old crush/boyfriend, Stellan who seems hell bent on finding out what Aurora might know about his sister's disappearance. He is sure that she had something to do with it and he will stop at nothing to find out for himself. Even involving his three closest friends, and fellow kings of the school, to try to manipulate the information out of her. Once they expose her identity she has no choice but to accept their protection or find herself lynched by an angry mob of college students. But the more time she spends with the men and the more she gets to know them she starts to let her guard down. Until they do something that was completely unforgiveable. Now they have a battle on their hands and they may not come out on top this time. After all, she is her daddy's daughter.

The story was very all over the place. I couldn't understand why, if the situation was so bad for Aurora, she didn't just drop out and try again in a year or two somewhere else? Somewhere where she may not run into the single person that would recognize her no matter her clinical disguise. But instead she sticks it out and acts like she has no way to get free. She is forced into situations where she could simply have walked away but instead she suffered through it for no reason other than the guys got a little growly. Girl, you are the daughter of a serial killer who trained you how to fight and kill effectively. Why are you scared of them? They should be scared of you!

The men's affections for Aurora seemed all over the place too. It wasn't the normal attraction turned to attempt to fight attraction ploy. It was like they would open up to the idea of liking her only to belittle and ridicule her like their affections were all a ploy from the beginning. It made me unable to follow what their true intentions actually were. And, I am sorry, but I really don't find any of them to be all that attractive on paper. Usually there is at least one who I see some promise in but I really don't like any of them. I feel like the whole situation is unhinged. Why are they punishing someone who was a victim herself by being forced to help with murders? Why isn't she being revered as a survivor? I don't understand it.

I have to hold out hope that the next installment has a little more understanding of what the boys true intentions and feelings are so it isn't just me sitting trying to puzzle through it the whole time.