Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Review: Fractured Faith by B.C. Morgan

Fractured Faith by B.C. Morgan
Series: The Harkwright Trilogy #2.5
Publication date: October 23rd, 2020
Pages: 134
Spice: 🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
A long time ago I gave my heart to a boy, but he never knew. Instead of facing my fear and risking embarrassment, I chose someone else. But he was always there; in my dreams, in my nightmares - haunting my every move.

When I moved away I thought it would all be over, but it wasn't, and I fell right back into Bradley's arms. When he rejected me everything came crashing down, and I found myself in a danger I never even considered.

Maddox, my hero, whisks me away to Switzerland to give me time. Time to heal and figure out what I need.

I never imagined the boy from so many years ago would appear, or that I would find myself wishing he would wreck me in all the right ways.

I know I should swear off all things Harkwright! But how do you make your heart listen to sense when it's faced with the one thing it has always wanted?



Available at:




Review:
Daria needed to get away from all the stress of the Academy for a bit so when Maddox offers her a way out she snaps it up as quickly as she can. What could be better than skiing with one of her close friends and just taking a break from all the boy drama that she seemed to always be engrossed in. What she didn't count on was one of the boys she had been avoiding for years showing up at the same lodge that she was meant to spend a few weeks relaxing in. However, maybe now was as good a time as any to finally air out the tumultuous past that had driven her and her best friend apart so many years ago. But secrets kept for so long may threaten to undo any progress the two may have and stop their budding romance in its tracks.

I will be honest, Daria was never one of my favorite characters. So a book that featured her and not the main character was not something I was overly enthused about reading. However the perfectionist in me demands that a series be read to completion and that includes any novellas in between books. Besides, if there were any tidbits shared in it that would otherwise be missed in the next installment I wanted that to be fresh in my mind. I find Daria to be very whiny and problematic. She has more issues than even Luna and its all from her own doing. She caused pain and suffering for herself and Jake simply because she wouldn't tell him what Bradley had told her so many years ago that made her leave Jake without even a goodbye. She held onto that and even when given the option between the two again at the Academy she chose Bradley over Jake then wondered why Jake was so salty. I found her to be absolutely frustrating to read and if it were not for Jake, I probably would have not rated this novella as high as I did.

I understand that the author wants these girls to be put in situations to be rescued and protected. It's how the whole alpha-hole dynamic makes sense. But Daria finds herself in so many sticky situations due to her naivety that it gets to be frustrating. She keeps finding herself being assaulted and abused despite the fact she is well aware of what to look out for in those sorts of people. Has the abuse of the Harkwright boys not taught her anything? Clearly not.

I will say that personalizing Jake a bit more after the mess he pulled with Luna in the second book was a good call. Otherwise, I would have written him off as just another user and jerk from the Harkwright ranks. This installment did give a little more insight into Jake's mind as the perspectives swapped between him and Daria throughout the book. Like I said, Jake was the saving grace.

I think if you are reading the series and you don't find Daria appealing, you can probably skip this book. I am sure Jake will prove himself in the third book and anything discussed between Luna's men will also be touched on. Unless invested in the side plot, this book is not worth the time to read.