Thursday, September 12, 2024

Review: Make Me Beg by C.R. Jane & May Dawson

Make Me Beg by C.R. Jane & May Dawson
Series: Rich Demons of Darkwood #2
Publication date: February 25th, 2022
Pages: 324
Spice: 🌶️🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
The monsters almost made me love them.

And now I'm paying the price.

But so are they.

Stellan, Cain, Remington, Paxton and I are locked together in a war that I refuse to lose.

They've taken my freedom, my money, my reputation... but they can't take my soul.

They keep forgetting I was forged in fire by a demon. Monsters don't scare me.

They think I'm trapped in their mansion with them. They think every time I seek their mouths, their hands, it means something.

They think they can break me with their punishments... and their pleasures.

But I'm only playing their game to win our war.

One by one, I'll find their secrets, however bloody they are, and make them think I'm saving them... only to use those dark secrets against them.

Death. Bloodshed. Betrayal... and now Sex. That's all my life will ever be. Now it's time to welcome these men into my nightmares.

These monsters think they're the kings of the world.

But the king always falls without the queen.

And the kings in this game... are going to burn.

Book 2 of the Rich Demons of Darkwood series.

**Recommended 18+ due to mature language, adult situations, triggers, and sensitive content.



Available at:




Review:
Aurora is done trying to cater to the masses and keep her head down so as to try for a new life. It seems that her life as the Demon's daughter is destined to be in the spotlight no matter what she does. When the men who had seemed to start wishing to protect her turn on her she has nothing but revenge on her mind. It was time for her to put on her big girl panties and start owning who she was. She may not be the psychopath her father wished her to be but she had a dose of crazy her dear ole daddy left her and she was going to use it to make the boys who played with her heart and made her feel safe pay for disappointing her. But how far is too far? And what happens when some of her exploits puts her directly in the line of fire for even more dangerous men that would make her father stand up and take notice?

I think the story took a turn for the better. Granted, the series so far is going pretty slow as far as keeping my focus drawn on the story and the characters. There are still events that unfold that seem to wrap up with ease with no real reason behind them other than they were not a major plot point so they were easy to discard. The flow of the story was a little better but still pretty mid as far as the other books I have read recently. The author may want to go back through the book and take out some of the fluff and beef up some of the other situations to make them more pertinent to the story overall.

I loved getting to see a different side of Aurora. She was no longer the simpering victim that she started as. She didn't take the abuse quietly and try to keep her head down. She embraced the cold lessons that her father taught her but used them for the good of herself and the people around her. She started to learn that she could be both the Demon's daughter and Aurora without sacrificing one for the other. I honestly thought a lot of her exploits would be things that she couldn't recover from with the guys but I guess I underestimated how much they were into her that she could get away with potentially ruining them and still get cuddles at night and copious amounts of sex.

I feel like there are a lot of antagonists within the story that are hanging on the fringes of the story. One steps into the light and once they are vanquished another steps in and it seems its just an assembly line of trials and tribulations which keeps the reader in a constant state of anxiety. There is no relief afterwards. It just flows into more problems to deal with. And the fickle way the men act are frustrating at best. 

All in all, I thought the story had promise, the characters were decent, but it still needed work overall. The story didn't get worse nor better than the first installment but I am holding out hope that once the authors get in the groove and feel their characters more it'll get better.