Friday, December 2, 2022

Review: The Reign of Kings by Candice M. Wright

 

The Reign of Kings by Candice M. Wright
Series: Underestimated #3
Publication date: August 20th, 2020
Pages: 347
Spice: 🔥🔥🔥

Synopsis:
Raised by a family of cops who see the world in black and white,
I grew up with a defiant streak a mile long,
And an immunity to gun-toting alpha males.
That is until I find myself at the Carnage clubhouse,
At the mercy of their Kings.
Now my black and white world is a dirty shade of gray,
And my immunity to alpha males has disappeared along with my underwear.
While I find myself torn between my knights in blue and my kings in black leather,
A killer emerges from the shadows, ready to rip both my worlds apart.
He thinks he knows who I am, he thinks I'm weak,
But he couldn't be more wrong.
My name is Reign. I was born to rule,
And I'll do anything to protect the people I love.
Even if it means sacrificing myself.

Please be advised that this book may cause shallow breathing, exploding ovaries and spontaneous disintegration of panties. As a result, all readers should be over the age of 18 and refrain from reading in public places.

Trigger warning: This book contains swearing, violence and sexy fun times with not one but three bikers.


Available at:




Review:
Reign has learned to be a tough nut to crack having been raised in a house full of five brothers. All her brothers are in various branches of police service and Reign remains the rebel who chose to be a mechanic instead. She doesn't take abuse from anyone which is what has made her a constant presence in her father and brothers' precinct for a dressing down by the family. It is there she runs into the creepy Captain that seems to have set his sights on Reign and is determined to make her his. Add to that the fact the Reign seems to acquire a stalker that is starting to go to the extreme to try to get her attention. When her stalker starts making threats to her life and her family's she sees no other choice but to flee. Her boss from the mechanic shop she works out offers her a place to go: The Kings of Carnage mother chapter. When she shows up she is mistaken for another sweet butt and has to literally slap some sense into the men to garner some respect. Unfortunate for her that her slap is to the face of one of the presidents of the club and now she has his attention along with the other presidents. In no time they are announcing their claim of her as their old lady and Reign is thrust in the world of MCs and the wrong side of the law. Can they protect her from her stalker and can she protect her heart from them?

Reign was by far my favorite of the female protagonists. She had me absolutely roaring with laughter with some of her snarky remarks. She refuses to take any lip from any of the men and was firm but fair with the other MC members and sweet butts. Even when one of them decides that she is going to try to make Reign's life a living hell. She showed very little fear and was fast to throw herself into situations to shoulder the brunt of punishment over her family and friends being subjected to it. She is an all around great woman.

Reign's men were similar to Luna and Megan's but in this instance Bates was the resident psychopath that only has a sweet spot for Reign. Priest was the hard ass stoic type who carried the weight of his entire MC on his shoulders so he felt responsible for anything going wrong. And Saint was the chill and quiet type who was completely smitten with Reign from the very beginning. I have a thing for the crazy men with a heart of gold so Bates won me over full stop.

As was the case with the second book the third was even better. Maybe because it had a lick of comedy to lighten the subject matter which made it even more enjoyable or perhaps because I had such a strong bond with the female protagonist. Or, maybe Ms. Wright has found her literary sweet spot and is riding that rhythm to the best of her capabilities. Whatever the reason, I can firmly say that this series is worth the read.