Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Review: The Mercy of Demons by Candice M. Wright

The Mercy of Demons by Candice M. Wright
Series: Underestimated #6
Publication date: July 8th, 2021
Pages: 299
Spice: 🔥🔥🔥

Synopsis:
It started as a deadly game long before I was born
But when a bullet takes my memories and the life of my friend
I return to the one place that offers me safety
Only the monster that hunts me outside these gates has nothing on the demons inside them.
Their darkness holds me captive, drawing me in and stealing pieces of me I can't afford to lose.
With no memory of my past and an uncertain future,
The girl they crave is just an illusion.
Love can be lethal but then so can I
And when the real me wakes up, it's with fire in my blood and the taste of deceit on my tongue.
White lies and red flags blur the lines between justice and vengeance
But the game isn't over till someone wins.
Or until they beg for Mercy

Please be advised that this book may cause shallow breathing, exploding ovaries and spontaneous disintegration of panties. As a result, all readers should be over the age of 18 and refrain from reading in public places.

Trigger warning: This book contains violence, dark themes, and some scenes that readers may find uncomfortable. As with the previous books in the series, this story offers up multiple love interests meaning our leading lady gets to have her cake and eat it too.


Available at:




Review:
Mercy awoke in a hospital bed with no recollection of who she was or what happened to her. From what the doctors say she was shot in the head and that effected her memories. They would eventually come back if she gave it time but that isn't a luxury that Mercy has. She has to figure out why the police officer who is there to interview her is talking to someone on the phone about getting rid of the wrong girl and tying up loose ends. She must rely on the kindness of complete strangers in order to spring her from the hospital and take her to the one place she hopes to find answers: the Garage of Carnage that she has dangling from a keychain on her keys. What she didn't expect was to be welcome into the Carnage fold like family. That is until she sees her uncle and the memories start to trickle back in. But Carnage is the place for her to hide out so they reach out to their Chaos Demon allies to take her in. When she arrives she is put face-to-face with three Demons that take one look at her and decide she will be theirs: Kaz (the stoic quiet one), Wiz (the genius with a huge heart), and Scope (the feral psychopath). If she can survive these three though she can survive anything. Even if that something has all the backing of the United States government behind them.

I really liked that the series seemed to come full circle as far as the female protagonists went. The first book was Luna's and she was the obvious "I-don't-need-a-man-but-I'll-take-them" sort of girl. She was a badass through and through. Mercy is the same way. She doesn't need even her pitbull psychopath at her back to handle her shit, but she wants him there anyway. 

I didn't know if I was going to like the book because reading from one of the brothers' niece's perspective felt like I was going to be reading from one of the club kid's perspectives. Kind of weird have reading about their parents, y'know? But surprisingly it worked out really well and I loved Mercy even more than Luna which is surprising since she was definitely my all-time favorite. I would be more afraid of Mercy in a dark alley than Luna honestly.

Most people really didn't like Scope from what I've read of some reviews. And while Wiz was my favorite, I do like those alpha males who are more grunting/growling caveman than civilized man. I think they all had this roles to play. I did like seeing Scope soften a bit with Mercy's love even though he never admitted to loving her from what I can remember. I would have liked if he had overcome his determination that he would never be able to love and actually say it to her (unless I missed him doing so).

I think the series could have probably ended here and it would have been tied up nicely with a big bow on top. I am curious what they are going to pull out for the next book.