Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Review: Sully by Penelope Black

Sully by Penelope Black
Series: The Brotherhood #3
Publication date: April 7th, 2021
Pages: 293
Spice: 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Synopsis:
"Do you believe in the butterfly effect?"

There comes a time in your life when you're faced with a choice. One that has the potential to alter the course of your life. I answered my mother's call that day and everything changed.

The path I chose was a turnpike masquerading as a meadow, and the tolls I paid have been grave.

So I made a promise to myself that I will have my vengeance.

And with my dark Irish gods at my side, I will wreak havoc on everyone who had a hand in the destruction of the girl I used to be.

I was remade in the cabin in the woods. And I was forged in the warehouse fire. And like a phoenix, I will rise anew.

By the time I'm done, my path will be littered with the heads of my enemies.
But not before I claim what's rightfully mine.


Available at:




Review:
With her mother giving herself up to Alaina's captor and giving her time to escape the crumbling building with her battered friend, Alaina finally gets to see her mother as redeemable. Her cold mother who had always held her at arm's length may have done so in a misguided attempt to keep her safe but had ultimately isolated Alaina from the bond she so desperately wanted. Perhaps that was why her mother stayed behind as the building started to crumble. Maybe that was why she had sent all this information to her aunt about her life to this point so that Alaina may know more about her life and the reason her father died. It seems their family had a role in the Fitzpatrick boys' life even before she knew them properly. The mysteries unfold in the final book of the trilogy and Alaina finally finds peace and love within the arms of her three warriors. But there is still the matter of who put the hit out on Alaina to be kidnapped. And the source of that ultimate evil comes in the most surprising of places.

After a few books of slow burn finally there is some real action going on. It was about time, but whereas a few books ago I was very upset with the lack of action, this didn't upset me as much. Because at least once it heated up it scorched off the pages. I loved the dynamic they had where the men still felt that possessive jealousy but were willing to put it aside for each other. They never came to blows over ownership of Alaina and assuaged her guilt over wanting more than just one of them. However, you could definitely tell that there was a far deeper bond with Sully than the others. 

I liked that the mysteries were constantly changing and you never knew who was the enemy from one page to the next. The more you thought you had it pegged the more twists came up that made you stop and go, "what a minute..." The twist at the end did feel a bit rushed when they did their reveal over who was the mastermind behind the attacks on Alaina but it was nice to see the betrayal aspect wasn't too profound. It was a perfect ending to the trilogy.