Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Review: The Queen of Carnage by Candice M. Wright

 

The Queen of Carnage by Candice M. Wright
Series: Underestimated #1
Publication date: September 12th, 2019
Pages: 326
Spice: 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Synopsis:
The Kings of Carnage clubhouse is no place for a good girl, but I'm not the good girl they envision.
After getting tangled up in Carnage business, it isn't long before I'm tangled up in their sheets.
All they see is my blonde hair and sweet smile and they want to dirty me up a little.
I'm a splash pink within the leather-clad army, standing out like a tampon in a condom factory.
But it's not my fault they underestimated me.
I might like girly things but I'm much more likely to spray you with bullets then sprinkle you with glitter.
I could just tell them they have me labeled all wrong.
But then, where's the fun in that?

Please be advised that this book may cause shallow breathing, exploding ovaries and spontaneous disintegration of panties. As a result, all readers should be over the age of 18 and refrain from reading in public places.

Trigger warning: This book contains swearing, violence and sexy fun times with not one but three bikers.


Available at:




Review:
Who knew when Luna broke the fence and tried to rescue a dog from an abusive owner that it would get locked up with a bunch of angry bikers for her generous act. When the dog she was rescuing turned out to belong to the President of the Kings of Carnage MC and not the man she saw kicking the dog. As her punishment for trying to steal from the MC she was commanded to stay in service of the MC for 30 days. And in that time she found herself cozying up to Orion, Halo, and Gage (or "Adonis", "Pretty Boy" and "Demon" in her mind). Along the way the intricacies of club life are pushed to the forefront and it is far too much for Luna to deal with. So she leaves, but in only a few months time she is literally beaten over the head and dragged back kicking and screaming to the MC she had abandoned and the men who were bitter of her betrayal. But there may be deeper things afoot than just Luna's a-wall status. Something is happening within the MC's ranks and there are turning out to be far more rats in the clubhouse than they ever would have guessed. Can Luna prove herself to her men and the other club members and also flush out the rats to help her men salvage the organization before it topples? Better question, does she care enough to even bother?

This book really hit the ground running to the point of it being incredibly jarring. I really thought I was going to absolutely detest the book because of how fast it went from Luna basically introducing herself as a character to already being in trouble with the MC. There was no lead-up, no real reason for her to even have been involved with them. She saved the dog from being beat and her reward is to be a prisoner? Sure, why not. I did like that Luna was not a pillow princess or one of those cries at the first sign of violence or disdain thrown her way. She was a badass. Gotta love a strong heroine.

However, while the beginning was off-putting once you got through it a bit it wasn't too bad. Was it the best writing I have ever read? ...Not really. Was it decently entertaining and had spicy moments that made me sigh? Yes. So it had an even spread of pros and cons. 

As with any harem I always have a favorite... While Gage started out as a hard sell he ultimately got there eventually. I like that he didn't just fall to his knees and kiss Luna's feet from the absolute first second he laid eyes on her. He had some push back. A moment of, 'uh we just met this chick and already you want us to all be a couple? We know nothing about her!' Very smart man. Intelligence is hot even when it is just simple common sense. I think without Gage the book would have floundered for me. He was the saving grace in my mind and the reason why I plan to read the next installment as well.