Sunday, November 6, 2022

Review: Rush by Penelope Black

 

Rush by Penelope Black
Series: The Brotherhood #2
Publication date: January 13th, 2021
Pages: 302
Spice: 🔥🔥

Synopsis:
I wake up with a gasp, surrounded by smoke and flames.

Twelve hours earlier, my cousins cut their European vacation short and came home to spend my birthday with me. They promised me a day to remember.

No one could have predicted how true that promise would turn out to be.

When the clock strikes eleven-eleven on June sixth, I make a wish. But fate has other plans, and she deals me an unexpected hand.

That's the thing about fate. She doesn't ask permission, she takes what she wants.

When my world devolves into chaos, I decide to be like fate.

And I want all three Fitzgerald brothers.

*Please note that Rush is book two in the Brotherhood series and cannot be read as a standalone.


Available at:




Review:
Just the way Alaina wants to spend her birthday: kidnapped and waking up in a burning vehicle surrounded by bodies before being knocked out all over again. When she comes to a second time she is in a remote cabin with little to no hope of Wolf, Rush, or Sully finding her. She feels she will have to find her own way out and that comes with thwarting some unwanted advances from some of her captors. But her boys are down but not out. They are hot on her trail and will eventually save her in at least moderately one piece. She gives herself some time to wallow in her misery before she kicks her shoulders back and accepts the self defense lessons her boys are desperate to impart upon her. 

However, there is more to this family that she originally thought. She had a suspicion that there were mafia ties going on within their ranks but she never had any proof. Now she may be stumbling onto a whole world of secrets and all of them are centered around her past. She not only has the mission to uncover the secrets of the Fitzgerald men but also a burning desire to find out what happened to her own family. Why is her mom suddenly marrying their dad? Why was she kidnapped? Who has it out for her? And will she be able to navigate all this while also trying to figure out her odd relationships with each of the Fitzgerald men?

Another great installment in the series. While there is still no outright sex, I am not as bothered by it as I have been with other books. The plot has me guessing so much that I find myself turning pages not just for the love scenes but also for the mystery and action. I do favor Wolf a bit more than the rest... kind of frustrated with Sully... and intrigued by Rush's obsession with Alaina. I have been trying to guess the plot for a while and I figured it had something to do with Alaina's dad disappearing but the twists and turns in this series really keeps you on the edge of your seat. 

Rush is a really good middle book to a series. It touches on things in the characters' pasts, cultivates relationships, and progresses the plot. It even gives you a few characters who you don't exactly know whether they are good or bad from one page to the next. All in all, I am hungry for the next one!