Saturday, March 16, 2024

Review: Revenge by Carmen Black

Revenge by Carmen Black
Series: The Princes of Powell #1
Publication date: November 13th, 2020
Pages: 197
Spice: 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
Elliot, Felix, and Leo.

The three of them had made the last four years of my life miserable. They ruled Woodman High - doing whatever they wanted to whomever they wanted - and I was a prime target. My best friend, Pierre, and I had suffered through the pranks, name calling, and ridicule but finally we were about to be free. Once I graduated, I wouldn't have to see any of them ever again.

Or so I thought. It turns out college has its own share of bullies, including my new roommate Vivian. After she turned my first days into a living hell, I decided that I wasn't going to spend another four years under someone's thumb, and I turned to the only people that I knew could help me fight back. Fortunately, Elliot, Felix, and Leo agreed to help me get my revenge... but at what price?


Available at:




Review:
Kat was finally out of high school and away from her bullies of the last four years. Or so she thought. When Kat started at her new school she was determined to go into it with an open mind. Nobody knew her nor the embarrassment she had dealt with at the hands of Elliot, Leo, and Felix. She thought she could find a friend in her roommate but her roommate made it very clear from the moment she met her that there was going to be no friendship waged between the two. If anything, Vivian took one look at Kat and decided to make her life a living hell - sounds familiar. Determined to not live a life of torment again she turned to the few that were professionals in bullying to get a crash course and revenge on her roommate, her original bullies that just so happened to be at a neighboring school. Can the boys give Kat a crash course in bullying or will they fall back into old habits and join in the mission to destroy Kat completely?

There was so much wrong with this book I almost DNFed it several times. But it was like a trainwreck. I kept turning the page and watching the crash over and over again. I will note a few things in the book that really turned me off to the whole thing.

One, there was no reason for Kat's roommate to hate her. None. She could dislike her for being different sure but to hate her with such venom simply for existing? That doesn't happen unless there is something else underlying it as was touched on a bit with Kat's high school bullies. She was created as an antagonist for Kat to have a reason to go to her previous bullies and try to find help. It was a hook for the story and it was just not believable in the slightest. 

Two, there were characters added that were unnecessary for the overall plot. Jason and Eric? Why? They served no purpose other than small ones that really didn't make them as necessary as they appeared in the beginning of the book. And Eric just up and disappeared randomly. Like, one minute there, the next gone. One minute he was good with Kat, then ignoring her, then being a jackass, then back to saying he liked her and wanted to take her, and then poof! Gone. What? Marco? Polo? Eric? No? Right. Jason only served one purpose in the book and that could have been accomplished with a nameless character of no worth. They weren't needed except for, once again, poor plot motivators.

Three, the main character's wardrobe changed every single sex scene. In the book she had her clothes ruined and was given shorts and leggings. Then why the hell in every sex scene is she wearing a skirt?! Where did the skirt come from? I mean she was in one on the first sex scene but... I am so confused.

Four, the reverse harem trope only works if the boys are all on the same page but it seemed to be a lot of sneaking around between them and jealousy. And then there was no discussion about them hashing it out or anything, they just all of a sudden were fine. Did they all get lobotomies and I missed it?

And finally, five, the story was all over the place. There were places they went and things they did that had no reason behind it. There was nothing or merit in some scenes and interactions. She was all over the place for it only being the first few days before classes started. And boy was she all over the damned place. Here is an example of such. Kat gets with her bullies. Her best friend finds out. Her best friend does something unspeakable because he was so upset by her getting with her bullies. Kat reaches out to come see him (which is what the second book is it seems) and he talks to her like nothing even happened. And signs a text "Love, Pierre." Who the hell signs texts like that?? Just doesn't make a lick of sense!

There was nothing redeemable about this book. It read like it was generated by ChatGPT and then just thrown on Amazon with fingers crossed that someone would read it. Nobody can say I didn't give it a fair shake because I read it cover to cover and I want those few hours back. I feel this is a book the author needs to take back to the drawing board and read it through themselves to make changes to the format. Take out the fluff and add some grit. I will not be reading the sequel as it should have ended with the first book. The second was unnecessary.