Sunday, March 17, 2024

Review: First Semester by Q.B. Tyler

First Semester by Q.B. Tyler
Series: Campus Tales #1
Publication date: September 12th, 2018
Pages: 184
Spice: 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
My rebound wasn't supposed to be the best sex of my life.

He definitely wasn't supposed to walk into class Monday morning on my first day of college.
He wasn't supposed to be my teacher.

He did things to my body that no man had ever done before.
Things I wanted him to do again
And again.
And again.

But the man I had in my bed two days ago was now off limits.

He was my teacher.
I was his student.

I couldn't have him...
I wanted him anyway.

First Semester is a 50,000 word standalone novel and the first in The Campus Tales series.


Available at:




Review:
Life didn't seem fair by Skyler's standards. She had gone to Italy for three months, fell in love, and ultimately gotten her heart broken. She came home to start college after taking a year off and met a friend who was determined to break her out of her shell. Skyler meets a man who was gorgeous beyond all reason and she thinks he was just what the doctor ordered to get over her ex. It seemed he was in a similar boat so this could work for them. After one night together fate decides it has other plans for the two and Skyler realizes that the man teaching her Social Justice class is none other than the man who rocked her world a few days prior. Now that they were both forbidden from repeating their night together they want it all the more. But they shouldn't. This could ruined both their college career and living career if it got out. But can they resist each other?

I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read and while it was extremely heavy on the sex without a lot of deviation, I did like a little of the underlying plot. I do wish if the author was going to play the male protagonist at being a dominant 'daddy' type that she would have leaned into it a bit more. Add some kink to spice it up even more. Sure the forbidden nature of it was hot but if he's gonna be all possessive and growly then go all in on it. I think that would have made this book even better than it already was. Which is phenomenal. The writing style and plot were there, the sex was extremely prevalent, but I felt for the characters which made it a top tier book for me.

Skyler was very steadfast in her personality. She didn't change for anyone and she was unapologetically amazing. She kept getting twisted all over the place and while she didn't particularly enjoy it she didn't become dramatic and whiny as some other female protagonists would get when faced with a challenge. She was willing to compromise and to work within the perimeters that were given to her. She only had a flash of jealousy once or twice but otherwise she trusted Aiden which was surprising what with her history being so close to his and seeing how he very much was not as trusting.

The romance was good, the taboo subplot was good, the characters were excellent, the writing was perfection, and the sex scenes were hot, hot, hot! What is there to complain about?