Monday, February 5, 2024

Review: Pack Bliss by Kate King & Jessa Wilder

Pack Bliss by Kate King & Jessa Wilder
Series: The Blissful Omegaverse #2
Publication date: May 31st, 2022
Pages: 396
Spice: 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
For a moment, I thought I had everything, only to have my happiness snatched away from me by more betrayal and lies.

Ares, Rafe, Killian, and Nox abandoned me four years ago, and now their final secret had come out: They've been working with the Institute who hurt my friends and tried to sell me to the highest bidder; a deranged alpha who tried to leave me bred and broken.

This time, the pack's gone too far. I'm done hearing their excuses. I'm done handing out second chances. I might be an omega, but I'm done putting myself last.

If they want my forgiveness, they're going to have to beg for it.


Available at:




Review:
Bliss never would have fathomed the secrets that her pack continued to keep from her. Just when she thought that she could get over their betrayal with sending her away to the Institute and basically into the omega trafficking system, they threw her for a curve ball and appeared to be working with that same organization drugging omegas to keep them compliant. Her pack claims they never knew what they were doing, but Bliss isn't so convinced. They may have been blinded by their desire to get her back after throwing her away but at what cost? Maybe she wasn't supposed to be the pack she had scent bonded to at seventeen years old. Perhaps sometimes secrets and betrayal just run too deep to recover from, even when one's body screams to pull them closer.

I finished the series out of determination. I have been pretty vocal in the fact that I am not a huge fan of M/M dynamics within the reverse harem and this was a lot more M/M romance than I would have thought would be present with them all seeming so obsessed with Bliss. I get that the bond went for all the men too and not just their bond to Bliss, but at the same time... it got to be a little much. It didn't feel like Bliss ever had any one-on-one time with any of them which I would have liked to see to kind of strength that bond between her and each of them individually. I never could get attached to any of the men because they just felt like a unit and not any with individual personalities. I think I could have learned to live with the M/M romance if there had been some depth between the characters. But since there wasn't, the story as a whole lost a lot of appeal for me. The book was predominantly sexual over much focus on the overall plot so not being really into the smut made the book overall a flop for me.

A silver lining, and one that saved the book from either a DNF or a 1-star rating was Bliss. I enjoyed watching her start to grow a backbone. She could be ruled by a Alpha's bark but that didn't mean she needed to be a complete pushover along the way. I love when the female in a reverse harem is the commanding force within the dynamic. It took her some time to grow into it but I finally saw what the authors meant about how Bliss needed to grow to be strong. I liked her as an overall character.

The plot felt really shaky. The Institute is capturing and drugging omegas to sell to rich Alphas and nobody says a word? None of the Omegas speak out? None of them fight their confines? They just mindlessly comply? That doesn't seem like it'd be easily accomplished. Someone would speak out and it'd be a big deal. Add to that the fact that there were two action scenes at the end of the book which were not entirely needed. One or the other would have been for the best. It just felt like the authors were trying to add a bunch of filler to thicken up the book and cover up any plot holes by overwhelming the reader with action. It just was not for me. There were too many holes hastily cemented over for my liking.

The series as a whole wasn't terrible and if you love just raunchy reverse harems with an M/M buffet then this may work for you.