Saturday, February 17, 2024

Review: A Love Song for Liars by Piper Lawson

A Love Song for Liars by Piper Lawson
Series: Rivals #1
Publication date: May 31st, 2020
Pages: 298
Spice: 🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
I fell for Tyler Adams when he had nothing but a guitar.
He was my rebel prince, my handsome muse, my twisted friend.
We were worlds apart in every way that mattered:
He was poor, I was rich.
He was beautiful, I was plain.
He honed his talent in private, while I ached for the spotlight.
When Tyler moved in with us, Oakwood Prep fell on its knees to worship at his altar.
He traded my friendship for their crown.
I will never forgive his betrayal.
But some nights...
He makes me want to.

A Love Song for Liars is Book 1 in the angsty new adult, academy-inspired Rivals trilogy. From USA Today bestselling romance author Piper Lawson!


Available at:


Review:
Annie never expected to see Tyler again. After they had met and he had ghosted her she had thought that was the end of things. She was completely shocked when he shows up on her doorstep saying he was there to finish out his last year of high school and also learn from the best, Annie's father, Jax. The only issue is that she struggles to get over the fact he had abandoned her when she needed him the most. Add to that the fact that Annie's father forbids the two from getting involved with each other. Tyler chooses to throw himself into being the new Prince of Annie's school effectively leaving her behind and giving her bullies a chance to ridicule her further. But Annie is no pushover and the more she pushes back and the more she refuses to acknowledge Tyler, the harder it is for him to resist her. 

When I started this book I really thought I was going to DNF it. I got to about 10% and gave myself the goal of sitting it out until at least 20% then making the call. About the 15% mark is when I started desperately devouring the book completely. My heart fluttered and ached for Annie. My anger roiled towards Tyler. I was desperate to see them find their happy ending. But instead I was confronted with a cliffhanger. Rude and disrespectful I say! Especially being as the books are not available on Kindle Unlimited. What are you doing to us Piper?!

I love books that have a musical undertone to them. Bea Page's Academy of Stardom series was one of my favorites but it focused more on dancing than song writing. Every thing the two protagonists said seemed like they were lyrics straight out of a love song. I expected in the end for them to become as such too. But perhaps that will happen in the following books. Either way, I am back to hating Tyler and aching for Annie, just as I had started the book. The characters are relatable and the reader truly feels for them. I am desperate to see them find their happily ever after so I guess I'll be getting the next book in the series. I should have known... most of what Piper Lawson puts out is absolute gold. This is no exception.