Monday, February 12, 2024

Review: No Tomorrow by Carian Cole

No Tomorrow by Carian Cole
Publication date: September 13th, 2018
Pages: 627
Spice: 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
Carian Cole brings you a unique angsty love story that will grab you from the first page and keep you in a chokehold.

They say you never forget your first love, and that's true. But some loves wrap themselves around your heart and never let go. They're not just your first love but your forever love.

That's what Blue is to me. My first, only, and forever love.

I met him when I was 19 years old. He was playing the guitar in a park with his adorable dog at his side. His smile made my heart race, and his eyes stilled my soul. I was completely captivated by his alluring melancholy. We fell hard and fast, and I dreamed of a forever with him.

Then he disappeared without a trace.

Five years later, I found him. Famous. Charming. Still just as in love with me as I was with him.

But behind the fame and the sexy smile, the quiet, tortured soul I met in the park years ago still lived. I was naive. I didn't realize that Blue, my love, was fighting a battle no one could see.

Not even me.

He called me the keeper of his heart, and I guarded it fiercely. He promised me all his tomorrows, and I cherished every single one. 

I never wanted or needed a perfect love. I only wanted his love. Our love.

This is our story. It's raw and sexy and beautiful and sad and filled with endless ups and downs.

They say love conquers all, and I hope--I believe--that's true.

*Author's Note: No Tomorrow will take you on a rollercoaster of emotions but has a guaranteed happily ever after.


Available at:




Review:
Piper was always searching for some way to come out of her shell that felt natural. She was the awkward girl that was picked on in high school and then also in the workforce afterwards. She was clumsy, quiet, and introverted. She had no drive to be different other than the constant pressure of her peers to do so. But then one day, on her lunch break in the park, she met a man that pushed her to be herself and not care what anyone else thought. She found a reason to fight and a reason to live. She found happiness, joy, and wonder in the arms of the homeless stranger with the cute dog and the melodious song. She had everyone in her life telling her that he was all wrong for her and that he would only break her heart in the end. She remained firm in her belief that their love would endure. Even after he abandoned her with a daughter he never knew about she still couldn't shake the love she had formed with him even after five years. It was for that reason that she tracked him down and started the world turning again for the both of them. But her handsome lover has demons of his own he has to slay before he can be the prince she wants to believe him to be. Will their love be able to remain strong even in the face of devastation and betrayal or will they fall apart? Will they prove that ladybugs can't predict soulmates no matter what the old tales say?

When the synopsis says you will be on a rollercoaster with this book they weren't lying. One minute everything is wonderful and beautiful and the next things are crumbling down around the edges. There were several times in this book where tears collected in my eyes and my chest started to tighten with anguish. I felt deeply for Blue and Piper. I also started to think Piper was naive for the way she steadfastly believed that her and Blue were going to be together forever no matter what. Even Blue doubted it. I worried the book was going to end in tragedy and the author toyed with that assumption by inserting a bit at the end where I had seriously thought Blue had kicked off. I was about to throw my new Kindle Scribe across the room and swear off books for months. The characters and their story was so vivid I was completely emotionally invested in their fictitious lives.

While this book was extremely long, topping out at well over 600-pages, there wasn't a single moment in the 11 year story that I would have wanted taken out to shorten things. I think it all had a reason and a place within the pages. I know the size of the book may be daunting but trust me when I say it is all well worth it. I have not read a book this good in years. The author really outdid herself. The writing flows, the story follows a path to an eventual HEA and the characters were loveable and easy to identify with. I can't find a single critical comment to state other than I wish it would have touched a bit more on Blue's history and his mental illness issues. I find the psychology of people to be fascinating and how it ties into the whole nature versus nurture debate. 

All in all, I feel that No Tomorrow was a delectably tragic and heartwarming tale of what its like to weather the storm of mental illness and finding a way to love someone despite it.