Thursday, July 8, 2021

Review: Queen of Quarantine by Caroline Peckham & Susanne Valenti @CarolinePeckham @susannevalenti

Queen of Quarantine by Caroline Peckham & Susanne Valenti
Series: Brutal Boys of Everlake Prep #4
Publication date: February 14th, 2021
Pages: 692

Synopsis:
Once upon a time I met four monsters and thought the world would come to an end at their hands.

But I was a fool.
Because I didn't understand the bigger picture.
That the enemies I thought I knew would become the reason for my entire existence. My strength. My pain. My life. My love.

The big bad wolf has teeth and claws as sharp as iron, and the danger before my eyes is blinding. So blinding that I didn't see the true danger lurking in the dark.

But now my eyes are wide open and I see it all.

Alone and afraid and running out of time, I'm not afraid of monsters anymore.

I'm counting on them to come for me.

Because if they don't, this foolish girl might be lost forever in the dark.


Available at:



Review:
The end of an era is finally upon me. The end of a series I have grown very fond of. Saint is still tedious but finally becoming endearing, Kyan is roguish but also romantic, Blake is the golden boy who had lost his way for a while there, and Nash has given into his baser instincts and allowed himself to fall for Tatum despite the taboo nature of their previous relationship. But the drama is still dogging their heels as the end of the last book showed Tatum being kidnapped to be bled of her antibodies until her body gave out. Time for a rescue mission right?

After weeks of being subjected to higher and higher levels of the virus and countless blood draws, Tatum still hasn't lost her fight. Her desperation and Saint's determination come together to host an advantageous and thrilling rescue that brings Tatum back into the loving arms of her men with a side prize of a case of vaccines created from Tatum's blood. 

Meanwhile, the government has tightened their leash and Tatum knows that her blood is valuable but instead of being the guinea pig for the rich to get richer. She wants to have it created in order to vaccinate the masses. And Saint is just the man to make that happen for her. But with the government bent on their small family's destruction and them being on the run, this poses a vital problem with who to trust. As the 5 bounce from safe house to safe house eventually the danger is on their very doorstep. As every person in the state is tested and then placed in corresponding camps depending on their Hades Virus test, the boys find themselves separated from their girl and in desperate need of rescuing themselves. 

Between the Hades camps, Tatum's capture, and Saint's father seeming to be at the helm of all of it, the 5 of them are not the only ones in need of rescuing at various degrees. The world is in need of saving and it seems Tatum's family is the only ones who can make it happen. But can Saint actually put an end to his own father's tyranny or will the world remain in a constant flux of danger and death?

I feel that this was the perfect end to the series. However the end with the constant jumping ahead a year here and 5 years there was a little rushed. It seemed like the happily ever after was a forced ending as opposed to it ending naturally once the drama was put to rest. Albeit I know in one of those jumps a few loose ends were tied up, but that should have probably been the only bounce forward in time in my opinion. Without those additions the story would have a solid 5 star rating for me. But it felt like I was fast forwarding through time and just getting the cliffs notes of the span of over 10 years time. 

Queen of Quarantine is the finale of a dystopian world that was dangerously close to what could have happened with the real life pandemic with the added spice of a reverse harem of handsome men and a sassy girl.