Monday, July 19, 2021

Review: Natural Born Killers by Lucy Smoke @Lucy_Smoke

Natural Born Killers by Lucy Smoke
Series: Sick Boys #3
Publication date: April 30th, 2021
Pages: 436

Synopsis:
Rule No. 3: Never let anyone think they can hurt you and get away with it.

I thought I'd seen and felt the worst of it, but there's nothing worse than betrayal.

Corina knows who's behind what happened to me and she may think hiding will keep her safe, but after everything that's happened, nothing can keep her safe from me and the Sick Boys. She's a pawn in all of this, but I'll get that information even if it means I have to cut it out of her - piece by fucking piece.

This little charade is about to end. They thought they could drag me down into the dirt and grind my soul into the dust. What they failed to realize is that there's nothing left of my soul and I don't mind getting a little dirty if it means getting my revenge. I may have let her fool me once, but there's no way in hell I'll let her fool me twice.

After I'm done with her, I'm going after the big boys.


Available at:



Review:
Poor Avalon cannot catch a break! First she's raped then she's captured and tortured... It is no wonder she is so pissed off all the time. Who wouldn't with that really terrible luck? But the plot is thickening and I have to admit, I would love seeing Dean go all alpha male when he inevitably rescues her (that is what I assume at least). 

Avalon is out of the frying pan and into the fire. Digging deeper to try to find the cause between the enemies who have captured and tortured her, she finds that the girl who was a reluctant friend was a key player in her assault and her torture. Now with her nose to the ground she must find Corina and rid the world of her existence. The danger is becoming more and more of a threat to Avalon and her boys and her heart is becoming even more in danger of being lost to Dean. Will Avalon be able to exact her revenge before her enemies can capture and kill her?

I did like this book better than the first two. It showed the adaptability of Dean as he learns to let go of his control of Avalon and put her needs before his own. It also showed that Avalon was willing to bend a little more than she used to when it came to Dean needing to feel in control of certain situations. They started to come together as a more concise and supportive couple. 

There was one scene, the torture of one of Avalon's enemies, that was a bit much more me. It was a bit more than just cracking some knee caps and breaking a few fingers. When Avalon checked out and went to work on the person, it made me cringe. But seeing Dean not only be accepting of what was going on but to find her ferociousness alluring was the best representation of the psychotic nature of the two. The level of their psychotic ways of thinking was also detailed when they discussed the fact that if they didn't care about a person they were not seen as actually human to them which made killing all the more easy. 

I question my initial feelings for Avalon and Dean as a couple. After seeing how dark they can go and how they relish their mutual darkness,  I couldn't romanticize their toxic relationship much after this book. However, that didn't mean their love didn't feel intoxicating at points as well. They did truly love each other and waxed on poetically numerous times about it. 

All things considered, I still find Natural Born Killers to be a fine installment in a fairly decent series.