Friday, July 9, 2021

Review: Kings of Anarchy by Caroline Peckham & Susanne Valenti @CarolinePeckham @susannevalenti

Kings of Anarchy by Caroline Peckham & Susanne Valenti
Series: Brutal Boys of Everlake Prep #3
Publication date: September 21st, 2020
Pages: 649

Synopsis:
My father always taught me to take care of myself.

But my Brutal Boys made me unbreakable.

Have you ever heard the saying that it takes one to know one?
Because from the very first moment I met the men I've claimed as my tribe, I knew that I was looking into the faces of monsters. And that really should have been all it took for me to know that I was one too.

Hiding beneath my skin isn't an innocent girl, waiting for someone to ride in on a white horse and rescue me from my demons. So I think it's time I showed the world my claws.

I'm sick of people thinking they own me. My Night Keepers and now the members of this twisted club all need to learn a lesson in that.

I'm not a doll made to dance to their tune, I'm not a puppet intended to play a part and I'm certainly no plaything to be used and destroyed. I'm a warrior with a goal of my own. And everyone who wants to stand in my way had better get used to the idea of falling to ruin at my feet.

When everything you thought you could rely on is ripped away from you, you have no choice but to find out what you're truly made of. And deep down in the depths of my soul, I knew that I was made to survive.

I have suffered through torment, fought against my oppressors and tamed the creatures who tried to buy me in the dark.

It's time that everyone stopped underestimating me.

I'm done being a queen without a crown.

I'm ready for my coronation.

This is a high school bully romance series. Start with book 1: Kings of Quarantine.


Available at:



Review:
Who else was holding their breath after the last book ended? It made me question everything I ever learned about the Night Keepers and their feelings towards Tatum. Again I wasn't able to review the previous book before I was forced to snag the next book and find out how it all turned out in the end. Was Tatum really going to be abducted and sold? Was Saint going to die? Was Kyan going to be consumed by his bloodthirsty rage? Was Monroe going to lose the first real connection he had since he lost his family? Was Blake going to not just lose the woman who has stolen a part of his heart but also potentially a member of his brotherhood?

The plot has inevitably thickened. It is no longer a simply life of isolation in a fancy boarding school. Now there are stalkers, kidnappers, threats of violence, and anarchy. The students are starting to lose faith in their kings as they struggle to put the pieces together and find out who has set their sights on Tatum. Add to that the resolute guilt for each of the boys at varying degrees after learning that their anger directed at Tatum may have been undeserved. Could she actually be as innocent as she always claimed to be? 

But now there seems to be several people hungry to own Tatum. She is wanted as payment for the clean-up of the battle they waged with her would-be kidnappers. She is desired by a stalker who seems to in a mentality of 'if I can't have her, nobody will'. She is needed to tie up loose ends over the exposure of the virus. Can her boys keep her safe while also swallowing the guilt they all feel and letting themselves feel every emotion they have stifled for their girl?

I have grown to absolutely love Kyan as a character. This book showed him as a slightly more prominent part of the male protagonists/antagonists (the last book was a bit more focused on Monroe with a sprinkling of Saint). He is dangerous in the most delectable way. He will be a complete asshole but couple it with a sardonic smirk that melts your heart and weakens your knees.

As the first two books had so much to process but it was all smoothed out within the pages of the third installment. The feelings were starting to grow to a fast precipice with each of the boys and Tatum. The secrets are starting to come out and the foundation of their group is becoming more solidified. Tatum has given up on her desire for revenge and her boys are decided that protecting her is much more important than any misguided rage they may still hold.

Kings of Anarchy is the sweetness that has been very sparse in the previous books. It has a few more hearts and rainbows without losing the dominant sneer of passion and desire.