Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Review: Torn by Carian Cole @CarianCole


Title: Torn

Author: Carian Cole

Series: Devil's Wolves #1

Publication date: August 29th, 2016

Pages: 422

ISBN: 9781539139461

Synopsis (according to Goodreads):
**Please note: there is NO underage sex in this book. There is NO incest or blood relation in this book. This is NOT an MC Club story. This is NOT Erotica. This is a slow burn romance. This book is intended for readers 18 years and older**

He's loved me since the day I was born.
He's taken care of me.
He's awakened me.

Tor. My father's best friend.
Fifteen years older than me, he's always been my protector.
The one I should never, ever want.
But I was born to be his.

She's always loved me.
She's shattered me.
She's healed me.

Kenzi. My best friend's daughter.
I held her the day she was born, and I never let go.
She's forbidden to me. But she's the only one that really gets me.
We're slowly being torn apart by everything we love.
Everything we want.
Everything we desire.

And now I want the one thing I can't have... I want her.




Review:
You would not believe how many times I passed this book over when browsing Amazon. I just have a thing against main male characters who have long hair. Perhaps that makes me a bit shallow to dismiss a book based on the physical characteristics of the main character, but when I read a book I want to be immersed. I want to feel the love and lust dripping off the pages as if it's my own life. It's a fantasy oasis that everyone deserves to have periodically in their choice of literature. But, I had made a promise to try to read almost every book I could get my hands on in the New Adult Kindle Unlimited selection. I had to go off cover appeal and what I thought would be a male lead who I couldn't get lost in. So I dove in.

Tor has been in Kenzi's life since she was born. He was her babysitter while her rock star parents were on the road. He was her confident when she needed a shoulder to cry on. He was a best friend when she felt alone or isolated due to never being able to trust anyone's intentions with her parents' lifestyle. He was her everything well before she started to feel something she had never felt before: lust. The problem is, Tor has been habitually known as Uncle Tor as he's her father's best friend. 

Tor knows these new feelings for Kenzi are wrong. It's a betrayal to her father and almost too close to incest for his liking. He should be looking at her as a daughter or sister not as someone he wants more than his next breath. Tor will go to any lengths to push Kenzi away, even breaking her heart. Will it be enough? Or is their connection just too powerful to ignore?

I thought this book was going to be a little too line-toeing for me. Yes, there is no blood relation but to go from having someone call you an uncle to uncontrollable lust? Makes me squirm a little. But, when I got around that little uneasiness I realized there is really nothing wrong with it. Kenzi and Tor as a couple were amazing. The honesty between these two was so romantic. I found myself rooting for them in the end and finding all their naysayers to be irritating. I binged this book so hard I was practically falling asleep in my living room chair while my 2-year-old quietly played with her toys. 

"Torn" stirs up so much fairy tale romance you want to slap your husband with the book and ask him why he can't be more like Tor. He's still grumbling at me for it, for the record. 

Purchase Your Copy Today!