Saturday, July 27, 2024

Review: Ruined by B. Livingstone

Ruined by B. Livingstone
Series: Lost Soul #2
Publication date: December 16th, 2022
Pages: 220
Spice: 🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
They say Heaven is made of peace and light--pure goodness.
But what happens when the fires of Hell are all you've ever known?

Resolved to save myself,
I escaped the prison the devil locked me in.
Only to be caged by a demon more depraved than the last.

Soul-shattered
Hope-obliterated
My only saving graces are three brothers I never saw coming.

One with enough blood coating his hands to stain his soul.
One whose darkness masks the scars he tries to hide.
One with honest eyes that guard the brokenness within.

They're determined to save me from the demon who owns me,
And the devil who's hell bent on reclaiming what's his. Me.
Even if it means forfeiting their own lives.

But I can't let that happen.
I know what I must do,
I'm just not sure they'll forgive me for it.

In the end, the only choice I have will leave me
Ruined

Ruined is book two in the Lost Soul Series, and not intended to be read as a standalone. This is a slow burn novel that features three possessive, territorial, and psychotic men that will stop at nothing to keep the woman they claimed as their own safe.. even if it means protecting her from herself.

Warnings: This novel includes references to past substance abuse, sexual assault, violence, self-harm, parental physical and verbal abuse, swearing, PTSD, and sexual content suitable for +18 audience.



Available at:




Review:
Eden is finally free of Donovan's clutches but for how long? How long will she be able to stay with the Kinkade brothers with her father circling around her like a predator waying to attack? All she can do is try to prepare for the worst while her mind and body start to heal. She will learn to defend herself from those who have already harmed her in so many ways her entire life. Can her men find a way to shut Donovan and her father down for good or will she eventually find herself straight back in Hell all over again?

The first book in this series was very intense. It touched on a lot of subject matter that made me grimace and feel terrible for the main female protagonist. It was like she couldn't escape the world of pain and abuse for even a single second. This book she is finally out of that situation and starts to learn who she is and what she is capable of if she is trained properly. She slowly starts to morph from helpless victim to a woman that has confidence and is willing to fight to defend herself when the need arises. If her men ever step out of their alpha protective shoes and let her fight her own battles that is.

I liked that we got a little more of a feel for Daemon in this book. The first book he wasn't even introduced until the end and there was no telling if he was going to become smitten with Eden like his brothers. I mean, there was a pretty clear sign from the synopsis but in pursuit of the story and with the flip of pages, it was still up in the air. Naturally he saw something in Eden that he wanted to protect. Maybe it was the fact she reminded him of his ex-girlfriend or maybe it was Eden's fighting spirit. Either way, Daemon doesn't take long to want to bury the hatchet between him and his brothers and get closer to Eden. 

I found the story a good second installment and I was severely bummed to learn the third had not been released yet. I usually wait until a series is complete for this reason. Now I must wait until August to see what happens next but I am on the edge of my seat. The only thing that would have made my review a 5-star review is if it had been longer with a lot more opportunities for alone time with the men (she only had one real instance with Kain) and a bit more fleshed out plot where her father and his master plan are concerned. But still, a good read all the same.