Friday, February 24, 2023

Review: Taming Brooklyn by Charlotte St. Pierre

Taming Brooklyn by Charlotte St. Pierre
Series: The Club Kings #1
Publication date: September 27th, 2022
Pages: 306
Spice: 🔥🔥🔥

Synopsis:
Running away from anything that makes me feel real emotion has worked so far... until what makes me feel amazing shows up in my conference room for a business meeting...

Aiden, Gideon, Oliver, Jaxon - The Club Kings

I have survived too much in my life to be an easy romantic partner for anyone. Hiding my scars, physical and mental, had become a full time job. But none of my walls stopped two wickedly gorgeous men from trying to sweet me off my feet in the middle of Club 4.

But what can I do when The Club Kings come waltzing into my work life and bang on the door of my personal life, uncovering everything I was so ashamed of. Though, when I expected them to turn away in disgust, they only hold onto me tighter.

I should be pushing them all away, but I find myself reaching out to keep them in my bed, a side of myself I didn't realize existed.

What I couldn't have predicted was my past would come back to threaten the thread of happiness I was trying so hard to hold onto...

Taming Brooklyn is a spicy "why choose" romance, first in series with no cheating and a happily for now ending.

Author's Note: This is a "Why Choose" romance where the main female will end up with more than one love interest. There are descriptions of child neglect, abuse, sexual assault, rape and domestic violence. There may be further triggers associated with these.


Available at:




Review:
Brooklyn is used to hiding away from the world. She prefers it that way. That way nobody gets close enough to see the scars she has on the outside and inside from her trouble past. She would rather stay home where it is safe from prying eyes and overly curious individuals than to go out and experience life. But when her best friend is having a going away celebration at one of the hottest new clubs and demands Brooklyn's presence, she can hardly say no. She goes, and with some liquid courage, she actually starts to enjoy herself. Then she spots two devastatingly hot men in the VIP area that makes her mouth run dry. The alcohol in her system makes her not only accepting of them joining her to dance but makes her thoroughly engrossed in it. But when one of them brushes her hidden scars she dashes from the club like Cinderella at the stroke of midnight.

Brooklyn never thought she'd see the men again but when she goes into work the next day to meet with new clients for a fundraiser she comes face to face with them and their two equally as hot brothers. Over the course of their working time together Brooklyn, Oliver, and Jaxon spend more time together and realize that there is more than just a small bit of attraction between them. Even gruff Gideon and elusive Aiden start to pay attention to the new young woman in their brothers' lives. But when Brooklyn's past comes back to bite her in the ass will she be forced to give them all up to save them or will they be the ones to save her?

I love why choose romance where each of the guys have their own separate personalities. Oliver the jokester, Jaxson the peacekeeper, Gideon the protective, and Aiden the daddy dom. They all compliment a different facet of Brooklyn. She knows who to turn to when she is feeling scared, when she needs to laugh, when she needs a dose of calm and even where to go if she needs to give up control to feel IN control. They all had a very great dynamic together.

The thing that drew the book away from being a higher rating is the fact there were a lot of grammatical and spelling errors that made me wince when I stumbled across them. I am usually not a stickler for it but there were enough that it was noticeable. That coupled with the fact that this didn't feel much different than a lot of other why choose romance books I've read. The men swoop in and save the damsel in distress all while being insanely rich and good looking. There is not much originality to the foundation of the story. That is not to say it wasn't still enjoyable. It just didn't make me perk up with a 'huh, that's something I haven't seen before.' 

Brooklyn did seem to come out of her shell really easily. One count attribute that to the guys and how she just instinctively felt comfortable around them but... I would think that having been so introverted from her trauma that it would have taken a little more effort to draw her out and make her share her story. It seemed very fast. And a little predictable.

But... I will be reading the next book and seeing what happens next. I am hoping for some retribution for ole Lyle that is for sure.