Monday, February 20, 2023

Review: Hawke by Jescie Hall

Hawke by Jescie Hall
Publication date: November 10th, 2022
Pages: 439
Spice: 🌶️🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
From author Jescie Hall, comes this powerful and emotional contemporary romance featuring a young girl being torn from her perfect, calculated little world, reluctantly falling for her new ex-convict roommate, Hawke, unearthing the truth behind his hidden past.

Nicole never imagined anyone other than her seemingly perfect boyfriend, Patrick, could grab her attention. That is, until ex-convict Cameron Hawke unexpectedly becomes their roommate, turning her entire, calculated little world upside down.

The tension in the house is thick as Hawke's lifestyle clashes abruptly with hers. Nicole's curiosities get the best of her as she attempts to learn the secrets behind Hawke's mysterious past.

Temptations become overwhelming as lines get crossed, feelings get blurry and the truth to a horrific past is unearthed, changing the lives of the three of them forever.



Available at:




Review:
Nic thought that the only thing missing from her otherwise perfect relationship was her boyfriend's ability to give her orgasms. For a woman, that is not always unheard of and Nic was no different. She had only ever been with Patrick and so she didn't even know what she was missing out on. Her life was picturesque and on the right path towards happily ever after. But one night she walks in on a man having vigorous sex with a random female in her spare bedroom and her world gets rocked just as much as that bed had been. Hawke is an ex-convict friend of Patrick's who will be staying with them for a while as he gets back on his feet. This was not at all what Nic had hoped for her life to turn out. Hawke is rude, gruff, abrasive, and a manwhore. She has nothing but distain for the man and he seems to have a mutual feeling for her. However, as Nic is forced to be in the same vicinity as Hawke day in and day out she starts to feel a little less disdain and a bit... more. It turns out Hawke is more than willing to test Nic's boundaries and shake her life up and she has to war with herself over whether she should melodiously sing with her angel side or get down and dirty with the devil within.

I thought this book was beautifully written. It sucked me in from page one and I could not put it down. I read the entire 439 pages in a single day. By the time I looked up I hadn't eaten, slept, showered, or done much more than wander around with my iPad stuck to my face while I did the least amount of chores as I could humanly get away with. 

Hawke and Nic heat was page-scorchingly hot. I had to take a few breathers to go get some water and stand in front of the fan because, holy hell... I have very rarely come across a pairing that stuck with me on a visceral level. Hawke was broody and trouble with a capital 'T' while Nic was sweet and friendly but had a dark side lurking underneath that Hawke was dying to drag out of her. 

Patrick was a tool. There is nothing kind I can say about him.

Honestly, I thought with all his business trips that there was going to be a huge revelation that he had an entire other family on the side she didn't know about. That would have been the obvious antagonistic plot twist which I am glad the author didn't go with. She chose a different route which made me have to sit back and blink with a "excuse the fuck out of me" expression. 

Hawke is my first foray into Jescie Hall's writing and I have to tell you that she has followed Bea Paige, Jennifer L. Armentrout, and J.R. Ward into being one of my favorite authors already.