Saturday, May 11, 2024

Review: Unknown by Lacey Carter Andersen

Unknown by Lacey Carter Andersen
Series: House of Berserkers #2
Publication date: January 2nd, 2021
Pages: 192
Spice: 🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
The House of Berserkers may destroy us all...

I have a beast inside of me. A monster that awakens at the best and the worst times. The beast allows me to avenge my best friend's death, but it's also led to my downfall.

And a betrayal so deep it cuts like a knife.

Taken prisoner by the psychotic Lord of the House of the Berserkers, I must find a way to stay alive and to keep the men I love safe. Everything has changed between the mutant, the berserker, the dragon shifter, and I.

But what hasn't changed? We're in another wicked place and our connection will either save us or destroy us. Only time will tell.

UNKNOWN is a paranormal reverse harem romance. This is a very steamy romance where the woman is the focus, and she doesn't have to choose between her men.


Available at:



Review:
Keira is in hell. She has been captured and held against her will by a man who fancies himself the King of the Berserkers. He has determined what with her being the holder of the prophecy that she will marry him whether she likes it or not so that he can be seen by their people as the one true king. Keira is determined to not find her way down the aisle with the sadistic man but when he holds the three men she loves as leverage she may not be granted a choice. But one of those men may not be worth sacrificing for since he was one of the main reasons they were captured in the first place. Emory's betrayal cuts deep and Keira can barely stomach being in the same room as him despite having never stopped loving him. With a war with demons and an impending wedding on the horizon can Keira and her men find a way to get free of their shackles or will they all succumb to the will of a psycho man with a god complex?

This next installment in the series was possibly the most frustrating book I have read in a while. I don't mean in the execution or the story but in what happens to the characters. It seems like they just can't catch a break. They are beaten and tore down every step of the way. They each find time with Keira but it is always a quick scene because they aren't able to linger due to all the impending doom. I was pretty confused that Maxam had such a following when the way Keira always told it he didn't have anyone willing to back him save vampires and shifters. So the fact that he had so many nefarious plots lined up to toy with the main characters was surprising.

There wasn't a whole lot of Drake and Adam in this book. They were there but it seemed very much focused on Keira's experience and, with Emory watching over her, Emory's. I knew I was meant to hate Emory for betraying them but even if I were seeing the situation through Keira's eyes alone I could see that Emory was all in with her up until they were faced with capture and then he saved his own skin like a coward. But he had also been tortured by Maxam for almost his entire life, that is bound to leave some scars. I felt only frustration and sorrow for Emory.

I think this book was extremely short and if I had known the books were so short I probably would have read a different series by Lacey than this one. I like bigger books that flesh out the plot and the characters a bit more so I can feel fully immersed in the world. That isn't to say this isn't a good series so far. But it is still very much middle of the road for me.