Saturday, February 3, 2024

Review: Pack Origin by Kate King & Jessa Wilder

Pack Origin by Kate King & Jessa Wilder
Series: A Blissful Omegaverse #0.5
Publication date: November 30th, 2021
Pages: 136
Spice: 🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
They claimed my heat, I claimed their hearts.

In a world where Omegas are cherished, Alphas are revered, and Betas are forgotten I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Growing up in foster care, my friends and I took care of each other. Ares, Killian, Rafe, and Nox, were my everything: my first loves, my only family, my pack.

The same night they told me we'd be together forever, I presented as an omega, and everything changed.


Available at:




Review:
Bliss was happy with the status quo of her little unit. She was, what she assumed, was an Beta female who had not yet hit her growth spurt. Her four best friends were all Alpha males who she would do anything for. She thought they'd be together forever and that nothing could come between them. But when she started the transition into being an Omega everything changed. Suddenly she could smell them and their emotions easily. She was drawn to them on an instinctual level and they all had to fight their baser instincts to claim each other and forge a bond that had been growing even before she had known what she was. But could they protect her from all the other Alphas bent on claiming her or would they give her up to save her?

This was a quick little read that got me absolutely hooked. I have been trying to space out my reading of series so I am not just reading them back-to-back. I felt that would give me a little variety as well as my reviews to be a bit spaced out more. But this one... I immediately downloaded the next book and am in the process of reading it now. I have never read a book with so much heat radiating off the pages and there be absolutely no sex involved. Maybe it's the animalistic nature of it that appealed. The growling, the whimpering, the possessiveness, all really heady stuff in romance. I was hooked.

When I first started reading I felt like it started off a bit rocky. I started rolling my eyes thinking it was going to be corny beyond measure and I'd have to DNF it at 20% as is my goal usually so that I give a book a fair shake. But it got better the more I read. Especially when it switched perspectives to Bliss. I liked her as a character. But let's not forget there is always a favorite in a reverse harem for me. Ares is that. He seemed to be the Alpha among the Alphas and I wouldn't have guessed that from the first chapter of the book when it was in Rafe's perspective. But you definitely get that feel throughout the rest of the book.

I always find it interesting when these type of books have that 'heat'. You know, the one where they got to have sex right then and there or they feel they may die. Where they're practically climbing each other trying to find some relief. It is equal parts hot and awkward. It puts romance passion at a whole different level. This book was 50% that. They were constantly trying to resist each other which only became worse with her transition. But the authors managed to write it in a way where it was more hot than awkward, which I appreciated.

All in all, this is a great prequel that set up the first official book beautifully. If not for the shaky start to the book and the pause to consider whether I'd continue the book, it may have been a five star.