Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Review: Crash by Bex Dawn

Crash by Bex Dawn
Series: Los Diablos Syndicate Novella #0.5
Publication date: March 23rd, 2022
Pages: 69
Spice: N/A

Synopsis:
This is the heartbreaking and emotional but sweet, short story of Ella's struggles with her mental health, anxiety, and severe depression. She hits rock bottom, finds a lifeline, and fights tooth and nail to get better. Will she find her happily ever after?

This is a short Prequel/Novella that sets the reader up for the series, Los Diablos Syndicate. Please read this Novella FIRST, in order for the next book to make sense.

"But God, those days when I would wake up to one of the more horrific nightmares, days that would leave me riddled with such pain, anger, and guilt. Days when not only the nightmares clung to me, but the memories I have worked so hard to bury, come out to play. They dance through my brain taunting me, reminding me of my worth, my brokenness, my failures. They follow me all day, leaving me in a fog of nothingness. Those days are the worst. They are days of choices. Choose to wrap my car around a tree, or not. To take too many of those sleeping pills or throw them all away. To slice, or not to slice. Days when I would do anything at all to make the pain stop. To physically remove the memories from my brain. There's no other way to purge them from my system.

Today is a day of choices. To jump, or not to jump."

Trigger Warning! This book includes content that some readers may find uncomfortable.


Available at:




Review:
Ella is ready for the pain to stop and she is determined to end it now. She leaves letters to her loved ones and sets out to Golden Gate Bridge to jump off the side and freefall into oblivion. What she wasn't counting on was that when she reached her ideal spot there was already someone there. A dark and handsome man who seemed to be wrestling with his own demons. Ella decides to offer him a jumping buddy even while the man changes his mind entirely. And as repayment for Ella saving his life, he wants to give her the same reason to live as she gave to him. But can this chance encounter actually give Ella a reason to keep on going?

This was a nice and short prequel to a series I plan to start reading. It is hard to get a gauge with how the author truly writes with such a small snippet but it did give an interesting premise. I do wonder what comes into play later with Thumbelina and Redwood. Are they going to be major parts of the series or just a foot note that provides some information for other characters?

So far, I am liking what has been written. I do kinda wish it were attached to the first book as a prologue so that it was easier to judge the work as a whole. As it stands all I can go off is that the premise is good and the characters are sweet. I will be severely sad if Redwood isn't featured in the series.