Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison @TheaHarrison

 

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison
Series: The Elder Races #1
Publication date: May 3rd, 2011
Pages: 312

Synopsis:
Half-human and half-Wyr, Pia Giovanni spent her life keeping a low profile among the Wyrkind and avoiding the continuing conflict between them and their Dark Fae enemies. But after being blackmailed into stealing a coin from the hoard of a dragon, Pai finds herself targeted by one of the most powerful--and passionate--of the Elder Races.

As the most feared and respected of the Wyrkind, Dragos Cuelebre cannot believe someone had the audacity to steal from him, much less succeed. And when he catches the thief, Dragos spares her life, claiming her as his own to further explore the desire they've ignited in each other.

Pia knows she must repay Dragos for her trespass, but refuses to become his slave--although she cannot deny wanting him, body and soul.


Available at:


Review:
I bought this book at my favorite local used bookstore, A Novel Idea, because it was featured in my Paranormal Romance Book Club that is also featured at the bookstore. From the cover, I was a little afraid there was going to be some bestiality of sorts featured in the book that was going to disturb me to the extent that it did in the Anita Blake series. I am a fan of were-animals (or Wyr in the case of this book) but I would prefer if their love scenes are between their human forms and not their animal.

I was surprised to find that there wasn’t really any of that in this book. I breathed a sigh of relief and allowed myself to thoroughly enjoy the book. I found myself finding Pia adorable and quick-witted and Dragos’s domineering persona was interesting to watch.

Pia and Dragos’s relationship was unusual.  Pia breaks into the dragon’s stronghold and steals from his possessions which throws Dragos into a rage. Then when he finally catches up with the fleeing Pia he basically falls head-over-heels in love with her. It was funny to watch the male protagonist in this story be the completely smitten party while the female was the more rational minded. Often it is the other way around in typical romance titles.

The story moved very quickly, in a matter of days the two are in love and fighting against the ultimate evil of the Dark Fae King. In fact, the story moved fast in all aspects. I would have liked a little more fluff in the story (yes, fluff). The transitions from one event to the next seemed jammed together and not well described. In one part a character gets knocked back off their feet in an attack and the next apparently it was an arrow that lodged in their chest and was the cause of the fall? Uhm, okay then. That could have been worked out a bit better. Also, the story had a lot of leading up to the climax of the story and then a really quick fall. Most of the story is rising action with virtually no falling action on the other end.

Aside from the quick and slightly confusing layout of the story, I loved the story overall. I liked watching Dragos learn to love (he didn’t even know the meaning of the word before Pia), I loved that there was a comic relief character, and I loved the introduction to the Wyr side of the Elder Races. I hope in the subsequent books I will get to see more of the other Elder Races such as the Light Fae, Dark Fae, and so forth.

This was a good little paranormal romance read. Although there were some criticisms and issues I had, I was sucked in quickly. I was thoroughly wrapped up in the love story of Pia and Dragos, the adventure of trying to find their way back home, and the mystery of Pia’s existence.  Thea Harrison weaved a masterpiece of a paranormal world the likes of which I have not seen before. “Dragon Bound” is a good book for were-dragon fans and paranormal romance lovers alike.