Friday, August 21, 2026

Review: Crown of War and Shadow by J.R. Ward

Crown of War and Shadow by J.R. Ward
Series: Kingdoms of the Compass #1
Publication date: February 17th, 2026
Pages: 480
Spice: 🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
An outcast burdened with a curse and a mercenary who's out for himself collide in this star-crossed, slow-burn, high-stakes romantic fantasy.

In the dead of night, passions rise and empires fall.
Welcome to Kingdoms of the Compass.

The Fulcrum is failing, and demons are slipping into the mortal world, stalking the night.

No one is safe.

Especially not Sorrel. An orphan and an outcast, she's spent her whole life within the walls of her small village, ostracized by her mystical abilities. She wants to survive... and maybe find somewhere she can call her true home. But Fate has other plans.

Sorrel has been chosen. Cursed.

She must cross the Badlands to return the Queen's crown and convince the fearsome female to save their world from destruction.

Well are she's no brave hero, Sorrel makes a dangerous deal with Merc, a brooding, commanding mercenary known only by his unscrupulous profession.

The deal? A night in his bed that she will never forget, in exchange for her safe passage.

But Merc has secrets of his own, and even though passion runs hot between them, enemies are around every corner, and danger and betrayal threaten at every turn.


Available at:



Story:
J.R. Ward has been a household name for me for many years. Her Black Dagger Brotherhood series was what got me enthralled with reading so when I heard she was putting out an entirely new series that was different from what she normally wrote I was all for it. The story was interesting. A girl with no real past to speak of and isolated from her community due to the fact she was a healer, suddenly finds herself on a journey first to freedom of those who sought her harm and then in a bid to keep the Fulcrum that holds demons at bay from the human realm functioning. Her enlisting the help of a dark mercenary that happened into her hometown days before she was run out of it set the tone for the entire story. I liked that it was deeply rooted in fantasy instead of more paranormal as her other books were. The connection between the two main characters was built through perseverance and strength. While there was sexual content it was not nearly as prevalent nor tawdry as her previous books. I liked the foundation and would love to read more about Sorrel's life as she steps into her new identity.

Characters:
  • Sorrel - I truly felt sorry for Sorrel in how isolated she was. Nobody seemed to care much for her and even was openly cruel to her. She accepted it without much pushback until she was forced out onto the road to keep herself alive. When faced with the chance of death at every turn she was forced to develop a bit of a backbone. Merc testing her every second they were in each other's company also played a hand in it. I felt like throughout the story she grew into a new person. A stronger person who was willing to fight not just for herself but for all the people that, let's face it, don't really deserve it. The revelation at the end as far as who Sorrel is was fascinating and I want to continue to see her grow throughout the series.
  • Merc - I'll be honest... I didn't like Merc much. He was always so fickle with how he felt about Sorrel and the fact he was in charge of her safety. The fact he kept calling her a working girl almost every second they found any form of intimacy really grated on my nerves. He should have been smart enough to look at how she cowered away from people and how she covered her face at a near constant clip and realized she may not be like the other women in the brothel. The fact he tried to assuage himself of his feelings for Sorrel with another woman also pissed me off. I would have much rather Sorrel be involved with Thane over Merc. At least with Thane you knew what you were getting.
Writing:
J.R. Ward is a wordsmith of the highest order. Even if the book flopped (which this one didn't) it would still be a stupendous representation of writing just in the way she tells her stories. The verbiage and the plotting of the story was well structured and even had a few twists and turns that I would not have expected unless I was already well acquainted with the Warden's writing. While the overall story was new and different for her, she still had that way of speaking that makes a person relax into the read and let the flowing words take them away to the land of dragons, curses, demons, and self-discovery. 

Overall:
I thought the book was really well done. But I expect nothing less from the Warden. I found the world to be a mystifying world of fantasy complete with the customary dragons and the journey of self-discovery. I would have liked if Merc was a little more likeable but you can't have everything all the time. I would be very interested in reading the rest of the series as they come out.