Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Review: First Comes Blood by Lilith Vincent

First Comes Blood by Lilith Vincent
Series: Promised in Blood #1
Publication date: July 21st, 2021
Pages: 326
Spice: 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Synopsis:
Four ruthless men. A virgin mafia princess to unite them. But first, there will be blood.

On my seventeenth birthday, I learn a terrible secret about my family. My future is in the hands of four brutal men, and what awaits me at their hands is too terrible to imagine.

Four men who desire me. Four men who vow to possess me. Four men who think they can destroy me.

As the only daughter of Coldlake's mayor, I should be kept far, far out of their reach. Instead, I'm being thrown to them as a sacrifice. My father insists only one of them can marry me, but all of them vow to secure my promise.

A promise in blood.

They take. I bleed. Happy birthday to me.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: First Comes Blood is the first book in the Promised in Blood series and ends on a cliffhanger. These books contain dark themes, violence, and a Why Choose romance with ruthlessly possessive men. The story is dark, dirty and delicious so please read at your discretion.


Available at:



Review:
Chiara is a very sheltered rich girl who thought that her seventeenth birthday was just another day to celebrate her trip around the sun. She was so close to being eighteen and being able to go away to college to escape her controlling father and perhaps give her mother some time to not have to worry about her so much that it made her sick. Chiara came down the stairs as a fresh-faced seventeen year old on the edge of freedom but what she found downstairs were the bindings that would be her undoing. She comes face-to-face with the four most powerful men next to her mayor father. Salvatore Fiore, Cassius Ferragamo, Lorenzo Scava, and Vinicius Angeli, the godfathers of the city and the criminal leaders her father desperately wants to get into bed with. Enough so that he is willing to marry off his daughter to one of the men in hopes of tying his family to one of theirs forever. But Chiara doesn't want to get married. Especially not any of the men who look like they'd sooner murder her in her sleep than be a loving husband to her. But when she suffers the loss of one of the most important people in her life she knows better than to go against her father's wishes.

However, little did Chiara know but her future husband, Salvatore's friends were not so easily dissuaded from having her and they kidnap her on her wedding day to hold her until they decide how to use her. Can Chiara win her captors over and find a way to set her life back on track or is she forever going to be in the clutches of the Coldlake Syndicate?

I honestly thought that this book was not going to be something I was into. I started reading it and, don't get me wrong, I love a good bully romance, but this was a bit much to start out with. I found myself feeling absolutely terrible for Chiara and the men were starting to lose any sort of redeemable quality for me. But slowly but surely they started to pull themselves out of their own ways and started forming bonds with Chiara. I have to admit, I normally have a favorite in a harem but in this book a like a little of each of them.

Salvatore: I liked how romantic he was. He was willing to woo Chiara even if he did have a tendency to throw a tantrum a bit like a toddler when he doesn't get his way.

Vinicius: I liked how he was so easy and light-hearted. It took away some of the darkness that the other characters had going on but at the same time he was not as noteworthy as the others because he seemed just to be the counterbalance for the others.

Cassius: I liked how he was Chiara's caretaker. He took care of her and make sure she took care of herself and had the emotional support that she needed. However he could be a bit suffocating at times. 

And finally,

Lorenzo: He was the resident psychopath. He was the hardest to win over but seeing him care for Chiara in his own way despite trying to be the brash and hardened killer he liked to wear like a shield against anyone getting too close.

This book was the spiciest spicy read and a genuinely great first installment in the series.