Saturday, January 8, 2022

Review: The Plan by Ruby Vincent

The Plan by Ruby Vincent 
Series: Breakbattle Academy #1
Publication date: December 5th, 2019
Pages: 248

Synopsis:
Don't piss off the Elite Class.

That wasn't in the rulebook, but it should have been. Landon, Michael, and Cole may have the faces of angels, but a soul turns black when it's betayed.

The Elites have sworn to take me down, but I can't get much lower.

Or so I thought.

Breakbattle wants us to fight and the boys are happy to oblige.

No one will help me. No one can. I either show I'm strong enough to rise, or I suffer at the bottom where I belong.

They'll try to break me. They may even succeed. But I can't leave. I can't reveal myself.

I became Zeke for one reason... and I'm not done yet.

The Plan is a reverse harem high school bully romance. This is year one in the series and features language, dark themes, and sexual scenes. If you're cool with that, dive in!


Available at:



Review:
How the mighty have fallen. Zee went from being tapped for the exclusive Elite ranking to walking the halls of the F ranking class with her best friend. Lucky she has Adam because having to deal with the severe lack of privileges and the dumbed down education of the Fs she would have gone crazy. Eventually, even while having been sequestered to the F class the Elites are still out for revenge. They want to make her suffer for betraying them and Zee takes it at first. The Elites start battling her knowing she has no hope of winning to steal what meager possessions she has to her name. Eventually Zee can't take it anymore and she starts studying harder and practicing longer so she can start winning her possessions back. But that is not her ultimate goal. However, her ultimate goal may push the Elites too far and they may retaliate in the worst ways possible. Can Zee stay strong?

If it was possible I liked this book even less than the other. I kept waiting for the heat. The marketing for the series was a Bully High School Reverse Harem. I saw the Bully. I saw the High School. I see no Reverse Harem. I mean, I could see the making of one but the book was so focused on that battle system and harping on how it worked and how Zee was going to manipulate it to get what she wants, it got tedious. The Bullying didn't even come from the potential love interests like most Bully Reverse Harems tend to be. It was from an outside antagonist. This installment really put the romance on the back burner and made it hard to continue reading. There was just soul to the book. If someone read this book without the prequel they'd have no idea what was going on. That's not really good for a first book the series.

That being said, I was very weirded out by Zee's obsession with Derek. I had no idea why she was hot to trot for him other than him being hot. They waffled between affection and almost a familial bond which made it very unclear whether he was going to potentially be a part of the harem later down the road or if he was gonna be a best friend and Adam would become the love interest. I guess that was good to keep readers guessing but... 

The Plan should not be read without reading Orientation Week first or the battle system will be completely confusing. Unfortunately, it was more about plot points and less about the romance genre we all want.