Sunday, October 6, 2024

Review: Queen of Anarchy by Eva Ashwood

Queen of Anarchy by Eva Ashwood
Series: Dirty Broken Savages #2
Publication date: September 24th, 2021
Pages:393
Spice: 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
Queen of Anarchy is the heart-pounding second installment in the Dirty Broken Savages series.

Note: The blurb below contains spoilers for the first book, so I'd highly recommend not reading it until you've finished reading book one, Kings of Chaos. You've been warned!

***

I was a good girl once. But bad bitches get shit done.

My list is finished. Every name has been crossed off. I should be sipping cocktails on a beach somewhere, breathing easy for the first time in years.

But I'm not.

Because that asshole Ivan St. James refuses to stay at the bottom of the river where Knox put him.

Because someone dragged his body up from the depths and laid it out as a very public, very gruesome warning.

Because I swear it was Hannah's eyes I saw behind that mask.

Nothing makes sense anymore, and if I thought I might find some peace in knowing that the men who hurt us are dead, I was wrong.

The game isn't over yet. The original deal I struck with the Kings of Chaos is null and void, and despite my plan to walk away from them when this was all done, there's no way I can do that now.

Our fates are entwined, at least until we sort out this mess.

Honestly, I don't know how to feel about that. Because as much as I refuse to let my walls down for anyone, I'm starting to think these four brutal, dangerous men...

Might be the only ones I can trust.

Queen of Anarchy is a full length mafia/gang new adult romance featuring a slightly psycho heroine and four even more psychotic men. This book contains dark themes, so please read at your own discretion. It is book 2 of 4.


Available at:




Review:
The mission was a success, River got the man she needed to kill checked off her list and now it was time to return to life as she knew it before. But did she ever know a single moment of peace? After she was held hostage with her sister and she was released from captivity after watching her sister die she had become focused on revenge and making the men who hurt them pay. She accomplished that goal but didn't feel fulfilled by it. Maybe that was why she was suddenly seeing her sister at the same party that the last man she killed turned up in pieces as a twisted art piece up for auction. It seems that River would not be returning to her life of solitude just yet. Her and the Kings of Chaos need to get to the bottom of who resurrected their disposed of victim and maybe along the way they can help River find out what truly happened to her sister and whether she was alive still or not. Can River find a way to save her sister who may not be as dead as she originally thought, find out who knew about her kills and was willing to expose her, and also the growing feelings she was developing for each of the Kings?

I loved almost every aspect of this book. There was very little that I found an issue with. River is just as sassy as ever but I liked watching her start to show a little more of her heart. She started to slowly let herself feel something for each of the men in a variety of degrees as well as showing how deeply she cares for her sister. The mystery behind who left the body on display for the group to see is still one I am curious about. I have not really had any idea who could be behind it. That fascinates me because I can usually figure out a mystery very easily in books. The romance was scorching hot and heartwarming in its depravity. None of them are really the sweet love making type. But that doesn't mean that their heart isn't in the experiences themselves. I liked watching them bring River out of her shell and force her walls down.

The only downside I had was a quick one and one that I didn't quite see as necessary for the overall story. It was something that just gave me the ick and put me off the book for a little while to recover from the shocking revelation. I won't spoil it but Julian is one sick man and crosses a line I would not have expected in a million years. It made me grimace and set the book aside with an 'ew' which is a lot since I read Lauren Biel's mayonnaise scene in Captured and was perfectly fine. 

Overall I liked the progress the series is taking and I am anxious to see what happens next. But if Ms. Ashwood could please refrain from ripping out my heart in the last few pages of the next installment, I would greatly appreciate it!