Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Review: The Predator by RuNyx

The Predator by RuNyx
Series: Dark Verse #1
Publication date: January 1st, 2020
Pages: 374
Spice: 🌶️🌶️🌶️

Synopsis:
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object in the field of death?

In the dark underbelly of the mob, Tristan Caine has been an anomaly. As the only non-blooded member in the high circle of the Tenebrae Outfit, he is an enigma to all - his skills unparalleled, his morality questionable, and his motives unknown. He is lethal and he knows it.

As does Morana Vitalio, the genius extraordinaire daughter of the rival family. What Caine does with weapons, Morana does with computers. When a twenty-year old mystery resurfaces, Morana infiltrates Caine's house, intent on killing him, unaware of a tie that binds them together. Hate, heat, and history clash together with unexpected sparks.

But something bigger, something worse is happening in their world. And despite their animosity, only they can fight it down.


Available at:




Review:
Morana needs to get her codes back from the one man who was sworn to be her enemy. The codes getting out could mean ruin for both families. But it seems that the codes Morana's boyfriend had sold to Tristan Caine had not made it to the man in question and were missing. Now two enemies must come together to try to track down the codes before things get bad for them. Along the way Morana starts to do some digging into their family history and the fall of their family's Alliance twenty years prior. What she finds will call into question the man she is meant to hate and what had occurred one fateful night to cause them to be linked completely. Add to that the fact that the both of them can't seem to shake their attractions for each other even as they are determined to be the death of each other in the end.

I loved that Morana was such a tough-as-nails chick who was unwilling to give the man who made other grown men shake an ounce of fear. She would bump chests with him with a huff and a puff and not let him walk all over her for nothing. She was like that with everyone. I loved the attitude. In the mob lifestyle women are meant to be loyal and quiet. Morana once threatened her father with sending all his dirty dealing on to the FBI if he didn't stop trying to control her. That is just the type of girl she is. And I am here for it.

Tristan was a bit hard to get a read on. Even after completing the book I am still a little curious about him. I kind of wish the book had have given a bit more insight into his mind than just Morana's. But I like that I can't really get a feel for him yet. He's still very closed off which leaves a lot of room for growth and for him to start opening up as the series goes along. I am anxious to see what a fully unguarded Tristan will even look like. Better yet, a Tristan that gives a full belly laugh? He doesn't seem the type. I'd love to see it though.

I think the plot was unlike any I have read before which is saying something since I read a lot. The mystery I still can't seem to form a theory on. What is with the missing little girls? How do they connect to the families? Why was Morana returned and Tristan's sister not? Who stole the codes? Who is feeding information to people to move the mystery along? I have no idea! I am anxious to find out though.

I think this book was absolutely stellar. The writing was a dream, the plot was enthralling, the characters were loveable even when they were being a weinie like Tristan is sometimes. I couldn't find a single flaw in anything I read. I was captivated from one page to the next.