Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Review: Skeleton King by Charity B.

 

Skeleton King by Charity B.
Series: The Dirty Heroes Collection #9
Publication date: June 8th, 2020
Pages: 366

Synopsis:
In this town, I'm free from shame
A place where everyone knows my name

Glamorizing corpses to feed a need
That's why they call me Skeleton King

They all worship me, but they don't know the real me
All they see is my painted face

Truth is, I'm terrified, all the hope inside me died
Death and cold will forever be my morbid fate
Then she showed me something more
Somehow stealing deaths allure


Available at:


Review:
I heard about this book on BookTok. A few readers were referencing the book as the most hardcore of the smut categories which intrigued me. I mean, how far could it really go? Far. That's the answer. It can go very, very, VERY far. If you enjoy the movie/story of the Nightmare Before Christmas, you may want to skip this book. It's not a happy Disney tale.

Skeleton King is a man who haunts the local graveyard digging up corpses for his own carnal needs. With his trusty, dog Nothing by his side he brings home his new play things in hopes of pretending to have the relationship he can't manage to have with women who can speak and judge. He feels that its a victimless crime and while his desire for Sarah is obvious, he can't bring himself to believe he'll ever know the touch of a living girl's hand. He's destined for cold and temporary.

Sarah has wanted to be with John since she first laid eyes on him but due to his predelections and her inability to leave her captor, she doesn't have any faith in it happening. Sarah is a broken ragdoll of stitched together flesh and scars that even her sweet John wouldn't find becoming. Or so she thinks. 

Can Sarah and John find a way to be together in the end?

I have so much to say about this book and no idea how to say it. It was absolutely grotesque in all its aspects. The love connection was creepy, the instances of rape, torture, gore, and death were nauseating and the acceptable of sexual perversion was terrible. The only thing I was intrigued by was finding the similarities between this story and its inspiration it was driven from. If you have any aversion or triggers, do not read this book. It is not for the faint of heart and if BookTok hadn't mentioned it I would have been better for it.