Sunday, August 18, 2013

Review: Demon by Kristina Douglas

 

Demon by Kristina Douglas
Series: The Fallen #2
Publication date: March 31st, 2011
Pages: 389

Synopsis:
Once the Fallen's fearless ruler, a grieving Azazel must find the legendary siren meant to take his lost lover's place... and kill her.

He's a devil of an angel.

Azazel should have extinguished the deadly Lilith when he had the chance. Now, faced with the prophecy that will force him to betray the memory of his one true love and wed the Demon Queen, he cannot end her life until she leads him to Lucifer. Finding the First is the Fallen's only hope for protecting mankind from Uriel's destruction, but Azazel knows that ignoring his simmering desire for the Lilith will be almost as impossible.

She's an angel of a demon.

Rachel Fitzpatrick wonders how Azazel could confuse her with an evil seductress. She's never even been interested in sex! At least not before she set eyes on her breathtaking captor. And now she can't think about anything else; besides escape.

Angels and demons don't mix.

Rachel stirs a carnal need in Azazel that he never thought he'd feel again. Falling for a demon - even if she has no idea she's the Lilith - means surrendering his very soul. But if he lets her go, he risks abandoning his heart, his dangerous lover, and possibly all of humanity, to Uriel's deadly wrath.


Available at:


Review:
I read the first book in this series on a whim. I read the second book in this series out of desperation. I absolutely loved the first book in the series and had to get my hands on the second pronto. I submitted my request to my local library moments after closing the cover of the first book. I waited with bated breath for the website to tell me I had it waiting to be picked up. Apparently no one else had requested the book in some time because it had gotten lost in the stacks. Eventually it told me it was available for pick-up and I left the house moments after reading the status. I had to know what had happened to my fallen angels. I had to see how the tough-as-nails Azazel who had lost his love in the first book, handled falling for another.

The story opens on Azazel tracking Rachel/Lilith. Rachel has no idea why she has a sudden stalker since she is anything but extraordinary. She only knows that whenever he gets too close, she must run and run fast. She has done just that for seven years until finally Azazel grows tired of the cat and mouse game and takes her. Azazel plans to rid the world of the alluring Lilith and in doing so foil the prophecy that has him marrying the demon. At the last moment, Azazel can't kill her. He frees her and leaves once more.

Rachel starts over as she has done for years, until Azazel is given the order to take Rachel to a group of torturers to get the information about Lucifer's whereabouts out of her one way or another. This was supposed to be a simple task for Azazel. Grab Rachel, take her to the Truth Breakers, and find out what they needed to know even at the cost of the girl's life. Along the way, Azazel's frozen heart starts to thaw and he starts to wonder if the girl is truly the demon between the two of them.

This book was unfathomably amazing. While the entire time I wanted to reach through the pages and slap Azazel around or sob tears that Rachel was unable to shed, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think there are several books out there that you absolutely adore who have characters you absolutely loathe. Such is the case in this book. I am so not a fan of Azazel's. Wasn't in the first book, and definitely am not in the second. Rachel's character made up for it and kept me drawn into the story. Rachel, the demon, was the story's saving grace.

Demon is the sequel in a series that is just heavenly. It takes various members of the Fallen and shows their strength and passion for humanity. It gives us, lowly humans, faith in humanity, as well.